Menu

I need to make a household notebook...

Being a typical INFJ, my desk is almost always a mess. I am trying to get to the place where I'm a little more together - especially with the important details. I am going to create a household notebook with as much in one place as I can reasonably gather. The idea is that if there was a fire or emergency, I want to be able to grab the notebook and run.

I know that a number of you have posted about household notebooks in the past, so I thought I'd ask about this again. I think some of the newbys would appreciate the info as well.

So what all do you put in your household notebook? How do you organize and keep the information in your notebook?

Thanks everyone!

Blessings,

Lucinda

I use the site Organized Home to print off different pages that I might need. In page protectors I put:

1. emergency addresses and phone numbers

2. current bills

3. receipts I might need for tax purposes before I file them (once a month)

4. car maintenance records

Other things that are in there are grocery lists and menus, to do lists, chore lists for the kids, calendar pages, calendars marked with when the bills are due and when our deposits are made each month.

Also, in a fireproof box in an easily accessible place I put:

our social security cards, birth certificates, car title, passports, emergency cash, and a phone card to charge one of our phones with in case of emergency

Along with lots of other stuff, I put the measurements of all of the rooms of the house in it, the size of the lot that the house sits on, clothing sizes for my family, a library list (books to get), friends' and relatives' birthdays, and foods friends and relatives don't like and cannot eat for one reason or another.

Mary

LOL. I could have written the OP 4 weeks ago..........I went to Donnayoung.org and printed out a bunch of forms and put them in a binder.........I use the menu forms, but for now the rest sit in there empty, but looking pretty :D

Like minds, right? My house is not all that disorganized, but my desk is the problem. I guess when it comes to some things I am a frustrated perfectionist....you know, you want it to be perfectly in line but give up when you realize you can't keep it that way all the time. Sheeee! :lol:

But alas there is hope. I think that even an INFJ can change her ways if she wants to badly enough. I forgot about Donnayoung.com, so I will go there and check it out too.

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies. Anyone else think of something that should be included in my notebook?

I tried a notebook. I know some people can do them, but I'm not one of them...

What works for me is: Google Calendar and Google docs. It's easy to merge documents as needed, and I can access everything from my computer or from my phone. I can also share both the calendar and the docs, so my DH has access to the same schedule and plans that I have... saves me about a million times over from repeating myself when DH asks about something. I can tell him to look it up. ;) Works great for shopping lists!

It was an adjustment to move away from notebooks and paper planners, but it has worked out for me! And my desk (not to mention the filing cabinet) are much easier to manage now.

I tried a notebook. I know some people can do them, but I'm not one of them...

What works for me is: Google Calendar and Google docs. It's easy to merge documents as needed, and I can access everything from my computer or from my phone. I can also share both the calendar and the docs, so my DH has access to the same schedule and plans that I have... saves me about a million times over from repeating myself when DH asks about something. I can tell him to look it up. ;) Works great for shopping lists!

It was an adjustment to move away from notebooks and paper planners, but it has worked out for me! And my desk (not to mention the filing cabinet) are much easier to manage now.

I started using electronic forms awhile back and then started to realize that in case of power outage or a real disaster of some sort I might be out of luck. I'm not going back to paper for every single thing, but for some items I'm sticking with hard copies. This notebook is one of those things. Like I said, I want to be able to grab it and run if I have to. Also, I want my family to be able to access a lot of this information in one handy, convenient place. The notebook and our fireproof box will serve the bill.

Blessings,

Lucinda

The kids' social security numbers. I have mine and DH's memorized, but I have to look the kids' numbers up every time.

I also keep directions to the kids' friends' houses. (We live in a rural area.) This way, if DH needs to go pick them up or drop them off because I am busy or gone, he can do so easily. This is especially helpful for kids they don't visit often.

The kids' social security numbers. I have mine and DH's memorized, but I have to look the kids' numbers up every time.

I also keep directions to the kids' friends' houses. (We live in a rural area.) This way, if DH needs to go pick them up or drop them off because I am busy or gone, he can do so easily. This is especially helpful for kids they don't visit often.

That is a genius idea about the directions to friend's houses. Thanks for the tips!

Lucinda