Menu

Using WRTR to teach reading

mo2

If I'm going to use WRTR only to teach reading, do I just need to follow the chapter in the 5th edition titled The Spelling Lesson? And am I correct in thinking that I will only need to purchase the phonogram cards, the Spelling Assessment Manual, and a notebook?

Now, my daughter already knows how to write her letters, and can read CVC words. Would anyone care to tell me what a daily lesson should look like in this situation?

If I'm going to use WRTR only to teach reading, do I just need to follow the chapter in the 5th edition titled The Spelling Lesson? And am I correct in thinking that I will only need to purchase the phonogram cards, the Spelling Assessment Manual, and a notebook?

Now, my daughter already knows how to write her letters, and can read CVC words. Would anyone care to tell me what a daily lesson should look like in this situation?

You need to follow the whole manual (WRTR). You cannot separate the teaching of writing the phonograms or the ability to read simple words from the teaching of spelling.

Yes, you need the manual, the phonogram cards, and the Spelling Assessment Manual. You only need a notebook for 3rd grade and above; it's optional for k-2.

So your daily schedule will look just like any Spalding class: teach new phonograms, drill previously taught phonograms (by "flashing" and by dictation), when dc knows the first 45 phonograms, begin dictating spelling words. For one young hsed dc, probably no longer than an hour will be needed.

Edited by Ellie

This is what we are doing also. Yes, we are only doing The Spelling Lesson chapter. We are not doing The Writing Lesson or The Reading Lesson (since the reading is more like comprehension and stuff, not actually decoding).

We do exactly the process that Ellie said, except once we get the phonograms learned we'll write the rules, since my kids are older.

I used the Spelling Lesson chapter and then pp. 212-397. I did not use the Reading Lesson or Writing Lesson or Integrated Writing chapters. I used the phonogram cards, a pronunciation tape, and a notebook.

I basically taught my kids the phonogram sounds by seeing, saying, hearing, and writing. I quizzed them to make sure they knew them. Then I started the spelling notebook. After awhile of doing this, I would have them read to me every day from simple books to get reading practice. While continuing the spelling notebook.

This is what we are doing also. Yes, we are only doing The Spelling Lesson chapter. We are not doing The Writing Lesson or The Reading Lesson (since the reading is more like comprehension and stuff, not actually decoding).

We do exactly the process that Ellie said, except once we get the phonograms learned we'll write the rules, since my kids are older.

Thanks. I have a feeling it's going to take awhile to get into a groove with this, but I hope it works!

Monday

-Oral phonogram review (OPR)-Read/say at least 30 phonograms. Discuss how spelling and usage relate (e.g. ay is used at the end of words that say a) ----------5 min

-Written phonogram review (WPR)-Dictate phonograms and student writes. (I dictate 18 per day for my 1st grader.)-------15 min

-Reading Time-ds reads book to me -------- (15-20 min)

-Review last week's spelling words

-Dictate 5 new words. Ds writes words in his notebook. Discuss rules associated with words.

-Go back and read new words. -------30 min

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday

-OPR

-WPR

-Reading

-Review yesterday's words.

-Quiz yesterday's words and any previously missed words

-Dictate 5 new words

-Read new words

Friday

-OPR

-WPR

-Reading

-Review week's words

-Test week's words

Once per month

Use a week to review previous words. On Friday, dictate Morrison McCall 50 word Test. (I only give my 1 st grader about 12 words, but 5th grader does all 50.)

HTH! Please let me know if you need additional help. Initially, this process will take more time as you and your dc get accustomed to your routine. Be patient with yourself and your child referring to the book as often as you need. This method WORKS!

BTW: The book recommends introducing 4 new phonograms daily. That was too much for my ds in K. I introduced 4 new ones per week. That was more doable for him.

God bless,

Jennifer

Edited by Jen the RD

Monday

-Oral phonogram review (OPR)-Read/say at least 30 phonograms. Discuss how spelling and usage relate (e.g. ay is used at the end of words that say a) ----------5 min

-Written phonogram review (WPR)-Dictate phonograms and student writes. (I dictate 18 per day for my 1st grader.)-------15 min

-Reading Time-ds reads book to me -------- (15-20 min)

-Review last week's spelling words

-Dictate 5 new words. Ds writes words in his notebook. Discuss rules associated with words.

-Go back and read new words. -------30 min

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday

-OPR

-WPR

-Reading

-Review yesterday's words.

-Quiz yesterday's words and any previously missed words

-Dictate 5 new words

-Read new words

Friday

-OPR

-WPR

-Reading

-Review week's words

-Test week's words

Once per month

Use a week to review previous words. On Friday, dictate Morrison McCall 50 word Test. (I only give my 1 st grader about 12 words, but 5th grader does all 50.)

HTH! Please let me know if you need additional help. Initially, this process will take more time as you and your dc get accustomed to your routine. Be patient with yourself and your child referring to the book as often as you need. This method WORKS!

BTW: The book recommends introducing 4 new phonograms daily. That was too much for my ds in K. I introduced 4 new ones per week. That was more doable for him.

God bless,

Jennifer

Thanks. This is helpful. In the very beginning, will I just be introducting the phonograms orally and written? There is no spelling until after they learn the phonograms, right? And when do we actually start reading, and with what? Do I just pull out a beginning reader one day and start working on it?

Thanks for the help. For such a big book, I don't feel that it gives as much direction as it could.

Thanks. This is helpful. In the very beginning, will I just be introducting the phonograms orally and written? There is no spelling until after they learn the phonograms, right? And when do we actually start reading, and with what? Do I just pull out a beginning reader one day and start working on it?

Thanks for the help. For such a big book, I don't feel that it gives as much direction as it could.

I can't remember if you said your dc was already writing, but if not, then I would first introduce how to write the letters of the alphabet. Spend a week or two on this. The method of writing using the clock is wonderful. My ds caught onto this very easily and was writing all the letters within 2 weeks. Most handwriting programs stretch this out forever. Then, I started reviewing the phonograms. I began with 5 and added 4-5 each week thereafter until my ds had learned the first 45. I did the oral review, then followed that with the written review. This was a *daily* routine. I waited on the reading until ds knew the first 45 phonograms. With my oldest, I used SSRW. (I didn't know about WRTR then.) I used their basal readers, but also got lots of beginner reader library books. There is a list of library books listed in one of the appendices of WRTR. I followed WPR with the reading. Really, you will find a groove and you will be amazed at how quickly your child will read once they know the phonograms. My ds is in 1st gr and reading chapter books. He easily reads through a Magic Tree House book daily--I'm not kidding! I don't mean to brag, but I truly believe in this method of instruction. My ds is much further along in reading and spelling than my older dd was at this age.

God bless,

Jennifer

dd 5th gr, ds 1st gr

Thanks Jennifer. My dd is already writing (and fairly well), so we're going straight to the phonograms. Yesterday we went through the first 26 phonograms just to see what she knew. She knows all the letters that only make one sound, but she had no idea that others could make more than one sound. Of course, the programs we had tried previously (Phonics Pathways, etc) teach only the short vowel sounds first, and we hadn't yet gotten to long vowel sounds. So we'll work on those and then move on.

Thanks for your help, and I may be back later with more questions!