Menu

DS 10 wants to return his ipod touch...

and get a drum set instead.

Now, he coveted this thing when he first heard about it. That was all he talked about. He started saving his money. Relatives gave him money for Christmas.(They asked what he wanted and he told them he was saving up for the touch. We don't do "wish lists" )After our family CHristmas with DH's family, the men asked him how much more he needed. I think it was around $20. They felt sorry for him and gave him the rest, LOL Anyway, he bought it shortly after Christmas. He has used it and loves it, but with electronic toys come glitches and he gets tired of having to reset it, put his audiobooks back on, etc.

The bigger issue is we started fife and drum corp and he has found a love for drums. He wants to return the touch and buy a drum set. I have no objections to this. It actually makes me happy as I hate electronic toys and didn't want him to buy it in the first place. :)

He has been thinking about it and today he approached me and asked about the relative issue. He wondered if they would be mad if he did this as they were so generous with him and they knew how much he wanted it.

So, would it be wrong to exchange it? Should he return the $20 extra dollars? Is a gift a gift and the recipient should be able to do as he wants with it?

My 11yods is currently in the drooling-over-it stage! He's counting on birthday money in the next few weeks to reach the goal.

DH and I would prefer he spend his money in another way (or perhaps keep on saving for a while). I am going to let him read this post!

As far as your "dilemma," perhaps if it comes up, he could explain that he realized the fife & drum corps would be a much more rewarding experience and he chose instead to apply the GIFT money to that... Perhaps the relatives would agree with your feelings about this unneccessary technology? (I sure do!) I guess it depends on whether or not you think the relatives would be upset by his choice.

Well, I think he can do as he wants without having to explain to relatives or give money back.

Having said that, I personally think that it is not right to return something that has been used because the excitement of getting it has worn off.

If this were my child, I would not let them return the iPod Touch just because they now want something else and don't have money for it (what if he loses interest in the drums? Will you let him return those for the next thing that catches his interest?). It is a lesson in patience and really thinking through a purchase. I would make them save for the other item (they could try and sell the current item to get some of the money back) and in the future really consider if they want something just because it is the hot item or if it will be really useful for them.

This is JMHO. Take it or leave it. :)

Edited by Deece in MN

Can he even return it?

But i'd be apt to say no because he found something later he wanted more, which is why i make them wait. I'd be inclined to tell him he could try to sell it over returning.

I'm surprised that he keeps having to reset it and such though, i would think for what he is doing it should be pretty stable.

he was gifted because his relatives saw him working for a goal and helped him achieve it. that gift stands whether he moves on to another goal or not.

he worked for the iTouch. as long as the investment continues to be with his money it's his to do with as he chooses. that's what i do with my son. no matter what, he's learning to make reasoned choices and how to move forward responsibly when things don't work out as he imagined. as adults we DO make purchases that turn out not to be the good deals that we thought they were. we move on. your son should get to also as long as you're not bailing him out.

Something is wrong with his itouch if he has to reset it all the time. I have never reset mine. It is not normal. He needs to return it and get a new one. I would be frustrated if that was happening to me.

I am glad he want to buy drums. They need to be his next saving goal.

If he wants to buy drums, he needs to sell the ipod he gets after he returns the old one and gets a new one, and start saving again. You can't return something used if you just decide you just don't want it anymore. It shows bad character. He has to take the money loss for selling the old itouch if he wants to exchange it for drums.

But he needs to return the itouch and get a new one anyway because it is not working properly.