Menu

Is there anything that can be done to counteract the effects of caffiene?

Really? I could see coffee at say 9pm, but tea at 1? Isn't there something, I want to say melatonin, but I am not sure that you could take before bedtime. My sisters all take something like that at night. Caffiene rarely affects my sleep. [ok, it probably does but not so I would say I shouldn't have had that late afternoon coffee.] Last night I have a London Fog(venti) from Starbucks at 6:30 and was out like a light by 11:30. BTW, London Fogs are really, really, really, good.

Really? I could see coffee at say 9pm, but tea at 1?

Yes, tea at 1pm does affect some of us.

I used to be able to drink coffee by the pot. However, during my mid-thirties I became quite sensitive to it. At this point I hardly ever drink anything caffeinated. If I do drink something leaded, it's got to be in the morning or I might be up all night. Seriously.

Another problem is if I try to drink a caffeinated beverage a couple days in a row--by that third day it just doesn't matter what time I drank it, my sleep is messed up and I am an irritable, anxious mess.

Having said that, to the OP--I have not found anything to counter the effects. Sorry. I hope you have better luck than me. I usually accept the fact that I will be hyper and sleepless, and try to use that time to get some things accomplished.

I'm very sensitive to caffeine too. I've noticed that if I've had too much of it or too late in the day, I seem to have less problems sleeping if I do some kind of exercise to counteract it...generally just doing a half hour on the exercise bike or walking seems to really help. May just be my imagination, but it works for me.

There is a homeopathic remedy called Coffee Cruda (those little white pellets in the blue vials if you know homeopathic remedies). It's supposed to help you calm down and sleep if you are feeling jittery, mind is racing, or just can't calm down. It works for me. If you don't have access to a homeopathic store...I'd go with the wine :)