Menu

6th grade Science- what are my options?

sassenach

Despite being a science lover, it seems to be an easy thing for me to not do. If you could list out any science program that is out there, I would appreciate it. I just need a list to go through and figure out which would work for us. If you have opinions on a certain program, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

Next year my oldest will use McGraw-Hill Science grade 6. I'm planning on having him spend 2 days outlining each topic, a day working on an experiment, and a day answering the review questions. There's one option. :)

Another option is Noeo Science. Level 2 is for grades 4-6 and Noeo is currently working on Level 3. There's also a Yahoo group.

A third option is Apologia Elementary Science.

The library is another option. A friend is simply having her 6th grader read a science book each week on a topic of his choice. You can always add a few experiments and reports. :D

Best of luck!

We did "Reader's Digest: How Earth Works" along with the TOPS unit "Rocks & Minerals" (be sure to get the accompanying supply kit!). Covers each topic in a 2-page spread, with loads of great experiments. While it is definitely from an evolutionary viewpoint, we just used that as a discussion point and added in other books, or skipped a page or two.

We also enjoyed other books from the library, plus found some great stuff on the web by doing google searches on various topics as they came up in the book. Very enjoyable year of science.

Love that earth science! Warmly, Lori D.