Menu

S/O daughter's first bra

After all the chaos and awful news of this past week, I ended up having a bittersweet moment yesterday. My sweet, almost 9yo dd got her first bra. It's a sports bra (thanks for that recommendation from the other thread :)) and she is thrilled and excited. Me? Not so much. On one hand, she's growing into the wonderful, considerate, compassionate young lady I'd hoped for her to be. On the other hand, what happened to that sweet little baby whose first word was "mama"? :001_huh: I think I must have looked a little shell-shocked coming out of the changing area with dd, because this lady gave me a sympathetic smile after she caught sight of what dd was holding. I really appreciated that.

Parenting is so emotional, isn't it?! One minute I'm crying because my boys won't grow up and clean up after themselves and the next I'm crying because they're growing up! I have to say, though, dealing w/the purchase of athletic cups and the sliding shorts they go in doesn't have quite the same emotional punch as a girl and her first bra, I'm sure!

It's so neat to see how you appreciate your dd for who she is.

Chelle

Guest Tracie in SC

We are going to make that trip one day this week!!! My dd9 is so excited and I'm with you---not so much!!! Just wanted you to know that you are not in this alone.

Tracie

My dd needs to move out of sports bars and into something else and it's so hard. She tried one on at Wal-mart the other day but didn't like it.

Our next stop is Target~I hope we find what we are looking for.

And why do they have to be so expensive?

She is almost 13. First off the kid is a 34C but her skin is so sensitive and she has always been reactionary about "tight" she chose to try on 36C's. I don't argue, I don't know who makes bras these days but some of those 38C's are darn tight!!

So now she thinks she is fat and is upset. Naturally, the evil store mirror is adding to the problem, I swear they get those from carnivals.

After trying on a few bras, her skin began to irritated,

She began to get more upset and angioedema kicked in.

A few bras later, her skin now looks whipped and her lips and eyelids have swollen and I am seeing a desperation in her eyes.

I am out at the racks again, frantically whipping through the bazillion choices that have...

-no seams to speak of

-no edging or lace of any kind

-absolutely no underwire

-cotton only

Now I am getting desperate knowing we are on borrowed time here.

She is way too developed to get away with camis, she needs support, we have no choice, we have to find a bra. We're trapped.

We choose two but truly she is incapable of rationality now. Her skin has raised welts, she is crying, lips and eyelids swollen and now her hands too and we check out at the register.

Home to shower off any chemicals from the stuff she tried on before treating her poor skin with aloe. In the meanwhile I hand wash them so they have no chemicals or irritants on them so she can wear them.

Time for a chocolate stupor and reading cuddled up with Mom.

Praying her size doesn't change again for about 10 years.

:grouphug::grouphug:

A hug for you and your dd. How awful! Have you figured out what she is allergic to? Is it the material, the elastic, maybe they have some latex in them? I'm so sorry that she's having so much trouble.

I have seen seamless, no wire bras, I think they were called T-shirt bras. But I don't know if they were made of just cotton.

I hope you can find something that works.

After all the chaos and awful news of this past week, I ended up having a bittersweet moment yesterday. My sweet, almost 9yo dd got her first bra. It's a sports bra (thanks for that recommendation from the other thread :)) and she is thrilled and excited. Me? Not so much. On one hand, she's growing into the wonderful, considerate, compassionate young lady I'd hoped for her to be. On the other hand, what happened to that sweet little baby whose first word was "mama"? :001_huh: I think I must have looked a little shell-shocked coming out of the changing area with dd, because this lady gave me a sympathetic smile after she caught sight of what dd was holding. I really appreciated that.

We should have gone together and held each other up. LOL. I took my dd, soon to be 9, to get her first bra the other day. Thanks for your prior post because I learned what to get and not get. We made a day of it and went to Justice to get hers. I got her some Camisoles with built in bras as well. I bought her a new Webkinz too, which made the day memorable for us.

We also went to Barnes & Noble and I bought the book recommended here called "The Care and Keeping of You" by American Girl. We read a few pages yesterday alone and we laughed and discussed the book together. It was a special time.