Menu

Has anyone been a part of a group that executed a really bad idea?

As an adult, have you ever been a part of a group that executed a really bad idea?

I am trying to picture how a group of teachers could have come up with a situation so inappropriate that it involved tying up children and screaming at them?

Was it a big brainstorming session? "Hey! We can shove them under the stairs and that will be the ship's hold!"

There is a Teacher Created Materials book (Slavery Thematic Unit) and the culminating activity is a slavery simulation. I don't have the book so I don't know what it involves. Does anyone here have it?

There is a Teacher Created Materials book (Slavery Thematic Unit) and the culminating activity is a slavery simulation. I don't have the book so I don't know what it involves. Does anyone here have it?

no, and no, BUT! I can see having *willing participants* in a slavery simulation.

i would probably NOT have a problem doing an activity like this as a voluntary thing [like a play], but when parents aren't notified and children aren't given the option to decline, they crossed the line.

I really want to believe it was all done with good intentions.

"Kids today are so jaded."

"How do we reach these kids."

"They're so far removed, they just don't understand."

"I know! We can tie them up and make them listen to people being whipped!"

"Golly, that's a fantastic idea, but it won't work if they're warned!"

"No, we couldn't possibly ask their idiot parents for input... who do those people think they are anyway?"

But, I digress. I imagine, in theory it all sounded brilliant. And since this particular theory depended upon secrecy, for it to work, there wasn't enough input. They just needed one person to say, hmmm, maybe that would cross the line, just a wee bit.

no, and no, BUT! I can see having *willing participants* in a slavery simulation.

i would probably NOT have a problem doing an activity like this as a voluntary thing [like a play], but when parents aren't notified and children aren't given the option to decline, they crossed the line.

http://old.mndaily.com/articles/2001/10/22/28533

Juan Bates sat in the woods underneath a bridge and quietly listened to the noise of the slave traders overhead.

He heard the footsteps, the chains, the dogs barking. He knew he and the rest of the students he was with couldn't make a sound or they would be caught and taken back to captivity.

Bates was involved in an activity that many black men and women across the country are finding to be a valuable tool to connect with their ancestry: an underground railroad simulation.

Close to 40 University students participated in the simulation, sponsored by the African-American Learning Resource Center on Friday night at Camp Sunrise in Rush City.

Many said they were there to connect with the history of their ancestors. Others said they were looking for a new experience.

These people wanted to do this. Big difference, right?

Oh yeah, big difference.

I have an idea, a way we could show teachers why this idea is flawed. We find all of the teachers involved, sneak into their homes, tie them hand and foot, then march them off somewhere, in the dark. Once there, we use a tape recorder and play sounds of people being tortured. They'll completely understand, then, why some parents might be a little ticked off!

What could possibly go wrong? After all, it is a learning experience!

http://old.mndaily.com/articles/2001/10/22/28533

Juan Bates sat in the woods underneath a bridge and quietly listened to the noise of the slave traders overhead.

He heard the footsteps, the chains, the dogs barking. He knew he and the rest of the students he was with couldn't make a sound or they would be caught and taken back to captivity.

Bates was involved in an activity that many black men and women across the country are finding to be a valuable tool to connect with their ancestry: an underground railroad simulation.

Close to 40 University students participated in the simulation, sponsored by the African-American Learning Resource Center on Friday night at Camp Sunrise in Rush City.

Many said they were there to connect with the history of their ancestors. Others said they were looking for a new experience.

They were UNIVERSITY students, not Jr. Highers. That means that they were all above 18yo AND signed up for it, knowingly.

I can't say I've done stupid on that scale, but dh has led games of "chubby bunny" before reading an article about kids dying from the game.

They were UNIVERSITY students, not Jr. Highers. That means that they were all above 18yo AND signed up for it, knowingly.

I can't say I've done stupid on that scale, but dh has led games of "chubby bunny" before reading an article about kids dying from the game.

That was the point of my post. That's why I wrote "big difference, right?"

I was responding to Peek's point about knowingly participating with an article about knowingly participating.

Did you think I equating the two? Because I wasn't. Not at all. I provided the article for contrast.

That was the point of my post. That's why I wrote "big difference, right?"

I was responding to Peek's point about knowingly participating with an article about knowingly participating.

Did you think I equating the two? Because I wasn't. Not at all. I provided the article for contrast.

I absolutely agree that knowingly participating is a HUGE difference. The article you provided is perfect contrast for what happened w/ minor students who weren't even prepped.

SO, you're saying that some teachers did it with minors and some did it with University students, right? When we went to foster parenting classes, we watched the story of the Teacher who was trying to teach the children how it felt to be segregated due to race (AAs) and she used I think it was eye color to do it. There were serious problems for the students involved...and I think they teacher was fired...

Bad idea when you're doing it with kids... Bad idea!

Carrie