Menu

Which extra workbooks would you use w/ Singapore??

Katiebug_1976

I use the IP and CWP books a topic or two behind where we are in the textbook/workbook. This gives my son much needed review. So, we are in 2B at the moment and I am using the 2B IP/CWP but when we were in multiplication in the text we were doing addition and subtraction in the IP/CWP.

I normally teach the topic, then if my dd gets it, we do some workbook and some IP and move on. Then eventually we will get to a topic that she needs more of, and we stay on that topic and do the textbook, workbook, IP, and some CWP until she has a firm grasp of it then we move on. And as we are moving through one topic, we work through all of the problem in the CWP that we haven't done yet doing one day a week of just word problems which she loves. It keeps the older topics fresher in her mind.

Clear as mud? Basically, I try to keep the CWP a least a topic behind the other books and try to work most of the problems. I use the IP when we need to go deeper on a topic. I don't worry about doing all of the problems in the IP, but instead choose problems to address specific needs as we go through.

Like the others I use CWP & IP in the same level as the text, slowing down as needed. Generally, CWP is a half unit behind where ds is in the textbook. The Extra Practice book is not any harder than the Workbook -- they're different problems, but on the same level. It's the CWP and, especially IMO, IP books that are (or become toward the end of a topic/unit) harder than the workbooks.

Some people use CWP a level below where their dc is; however, I haven't yet found that I need to do this.

I don't have IP--perhaps I should get it!

I do use the Extra Practice workbooks, though--especially for my daughter. She just needs to do more excercises than my son does. I was trying to use computer generated worksheets --but it was tough. For example, with long division, Singapore only uses certain integers (not all) and engineers it so that there are "remainders" with those problems (Singapore offers the strategy of how to find out how many times a number goes into another number by figuring out the remainder FIRST which is so, so brilliant) so it can be difficult to make up the worksheet (except by hand and with mental effort, lol!)

So, they are good idea for my daughter--but for my son they would just be busy work.

For one dc (smart in math) -- we use IP right after workbook. I help with the "challenge" sections. We were struggling with CWP, until we found the advice to use a semester -- or even a year - behind. (The CWP math is not hard -- but it is a challenge to combine math & careful reading.) No EP book needed.

Fore other dc (math challenged) -- workbook with many of the games etc from the IG. Then Extra Practice. No IP or CWP.