Menu

Freezing soup or broth in jars - need advice!

I prefer to freeze my soups in jars, as I'm not comfortable with pouring hot soup into plastics. I always cool the jars overnight in the refrigerator before trying to freeze the soup. I always leave 1/2" headroom. Sometimes it works fine, but sometimes the jars crack. It seems that I've had better success with soup with veggies/meat over plain broth. Is there something I'm missing? Is there a way to make this work more consistently? Thanks!

I recently had a quart jar of chicken broth crack in the freezer...and one that didn't. The jar that cracked was the kind that is narrower at the top than at the sides. The jar that didn't crack was had the same diameter all the way to the top (wide-mouth). I am not sure if I didn't leave enough head space in the cracked jar, or if as a friend suggested, it tried to rise up (expand) after freezing and cracked anyway, even with headspace. I am only going to use wide-mouth jars for freezing from now on, for sure!