Menu

? about poor memory and difficulty paying attention in adults

I am to the point where I don't even want to answer questions anymore because I feel like it is a waste of time. Information is not remembered. There is a marked increase in difficulty finding things.

What could cause this getting worse in an adult? Is there something that can be done to treat this?

I am serious.

I am to the point where I don't even want to answer questions anymore because I feel like it is a waste of time. Information is not remembered. There is a marked increase in difficulty finding things.

What could cause this getting worse in an adult? Is there something that can be done to treat this?

I am serious.

Any one of a number of things could cause this. Since you didn't mention the age of the adult, I'll throw out a couple of possibilities: dementia (Stage I/early Stage II), early stage Alzheimer's, early onset Alzheimer's in a younger than normal person, organic brain disease, tumors, electrolyte imbalance(s), mental illness, TIA's, certain types of seizures, etc.

As far as doing something, you'd have to know what was causing the symptoms in order to know how to treat either the underlying problem or the symptoms (or both). Is there any chance of the adult seeing his/her PCP for a complete physical (including fasting blood work)? I'm very sorry you're having to deal with this.

I don't think that you'll find out unless you can get a good medical evaluation though, and memory issues are not going to be tracked down in a single office visit in most cases. Bloodwork, an MRI, and perhaps neurological testing may be in order. It could be anything from blood sugar issues to something serious neurologically. For years I swore that my mother had something major wrong (and I live many states away), and her doctors and everyone else denied it. Then she began having black-outs and a host of other symptoms, and they diagnosed multi-infarct dementia. Medication stablized her for awhile, but the dementia has been in overdrive of late and she had another TIA a few days ago.

Edited by GVA

ETA: I misread your OP. I thought you were talking about yourself. So....uh, take my post with a grain of salt.

First, I am so sorry. I went through this exact thing, and luckily a 50-year-old woman (very famous, was president of NOW) was going through it too and wrote a book about it. Since I can't remember her name :tongue_smilie:, here is a different one that explains it. It is a VERY common symptom of menopause. http://www.ecampus.com/book/9780684854564

In my case, I had just had a child so I thought I was too young for menopause. But I guess the child was just my body's last gasp. Very last egg....grab it! Now! But the memory stuff was very scary. I could not remember what day of the week it was, or other very simple stuff. I was sure I had early onset Alzheimer's, like my grandfather did. But nope, it is actually a fairly normal thing.

Here's an excerpt from the above link: "Research shows that a decrease in estrogen -- which begins with the onset of perimenopause at about age 35 -- produces detectable changes in the parts of the brain having to do with memory and attention, and can affect multiple neurotransmitter systems. There is also evidence that estrogen loss impacts verbal memory and learning. Yet remarkably, the medical establishment has failed to use this research to help the millions of perimenopausal and menopausal women who suffer from speech, memory, attention, or cognitive/behavioral symptoms."

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Julie

Edited by buddhabelly

I deal with the same scenario with a middle aged adult, and I know the lack of retention is definitely due to distraction. However, I don't know if it is just "to much on the mind" distraction, "I don't really care so I can't be bothered to focus on what you say", or whether it is actually ADD. No answers, but definitely some empathy here. pm me if you wish any further discussion. :grouphug:

Heather

Thanks ladies. I think I will suggest he mention this to the doctor when he goes for his physical this year.

I think it has gotten worse in the last couple of years. He is almost 50.

I'm not sure how much of it is distraction either, but he always says, "Do you think I choose not to pay attention?" He seems to really try, but cannot pay much attention or remember things very well anymore.

I'm really sorry Dawn. I don't know at all .

But I will say that I am VERY VERY VERY grateful for this post because I have been getting quite worried about myself of late!

ETA: I misread your OP. I thought you were talking about yourself. So....uh, take my post with a grain of salt.

First, I am so sorry. I went through this exact thing, and luckily a 50-year-old woman (very famous, was president of NOW) was going through it too and wrote a book about it. Since I can't remember her name :tongue_smilie:, here is a different one that explains it. It is a VERY common symptom of menopause. http://www.ecampus.com/book/9780684854564

In my case, I had just had a child so I thought I was too young for menopause. But I guess the child was just my body's last gasp. Very last egg....grab it! Now! But the memory stuff was very scary. I could not remember what day of the week it was, or other very simple stuff. I was sure I had early onset Alzheimer's, like my grandfather did. But nope, it is actually a fairly normal thing.

Here's an excerpt from the above link: "Research shows that a decrease in estrogen -- which begins with the onset of perimenopause at about age 35 -- produces detectable changes in the parts of the brain having to do with memory and attention, and can affect multiple neurotransmitter systems. There is also evidence that estrogen loss impacts verbal memory and learning. Yet remarkably, the medical establishment has failed to use this research to help the millions of perimenopausal and menopausal women who suffer from speech, memory, attention, or cognitive/behavioral symptoms."

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Julie

I will ask someone a question and then totally forget and ask them again 1 minute later. Or if I do remember I asked it I will forget the answer. It is embarrassing and distressing. I was beginning to think I was getting demetia or something. I'm finding my new iPhone task manager and notes very handy to help me remember that which I tend to forget. I don't know whether I am menopausal as I have a Mirena so I don't have a physical symbol of my cycle. But my Mum started menopause at about my age.

Do you know that you can call your dh's doctor and tell them that you are concerned about one or more issues? They will not be able to tell *you* anything (b/c of patient confidentiality), but the doctor will have some questions to ask at the appointment in case your dh forgets to bring something up.

Anne