Menu

Speaking of Europe . . .

My son's fiance is an international flight attendant. She just told me she could fly me anywhere in Europe with her for free. She and I would spend the time together, and I am looking forward to getting to know her better (She lives in NYC).

Which city would you pick and why? I love art history, so I leaning toward Paris or Rome. I would love your input.

Florence is a favorite of mine, and is quite rich with art history :)

I'm a flight attendant also. Nothing pleases me more than being able to send my inlaws on trips they wouldn't likely have taken otherwise. They're European, so offering more frequent travels back and forth has been a wonderful way for me to show how much I appreciate them in our lives. Yours sounds like a wonderful experience, on many accounts - enjoy your travels, and getting to know the newest addition to your family!

Which city would you pick and why? I love art history, so I leaning toward Paris or Rome. I would love your input.

All travel talk aside, I think it's grand that your future daughter-in-law wants to hang with you in Europe. My problem, of course, would likely be that I'd rather be alone, but I'd worry about offending the woman if I said as much. On the other hand, if she's been to the destination before, it'd be good to have her as a guide. And like you said, you'll get to know her better. Cool!

As far as the city, does she have a favorite or two? Would you just stay in one city, or are you considering covering a couple over the course of a week? If it's the later, Rome and Florence would be a good combo and the distance between the two isn't terribly far apart. Either on its own would be great, too, of course. For that matter, just about any city would be great, LOL! I'm not a Francophile, so I personally wouldn't lean toward Paris, though. Actually, Barcelona might be a good option. I haven't been there, unfortunately, but I'd sure like to go. Great art and architecture!

She did mention that Barcelona was one of her favorites. I'll have to consider that. I'm actually looking forward to spending time with her. We only met her at Christmas. She was here with us for ten days and seemed to fit right in. She has the perfect personality for my son.

I was leaning toward Paris because she speaks fluent French, but I guess she's used to getting around in whatever country she's in. She also mentioned Edinburgh. Anyone been there?

I'd vote for Florence, Barcelona, Rome, Paris - in that order.

It isn't that there isn't wonderful art (and other things) in Paris, it is just that the attitude there blows!

I'm fluent in French, and have been to Paris three times. Every time, I thought to myself "why must Parisians be so bloody rude?" There are so many other lovely places in Europe where the residents are so nice, it seems a pity to waste limited time in Paris.

Ah, but Barcelona! I haven't gotten there yet. I've heard great stories about both it and Madrid.

Florence is fabulous, and Rome is nifty. Rome is very "big city" crowded, though, especially in tourist season. One thing to remember: you may or may not be denied entrance to St. Peter's if you are wearing shorts (it is up to the discretion of the Swiss guards). Many people forget it is the Church, first and foremost.

asta

All the suggestions sound great. Rome is amazing for art, imo. Seeing La Pieta at the Vatican gave me chills. It is the most beautiful artwork I've ever seen. Also, I loved Madrid. Of course, Florence & Paris are great too, as so many have mentioned.

I think you & your future dil need to make multiple trips so you can see & compare art among all the cities. ;)

And, like Colleen, I'm wishing for a future dil or sil like that!

What an awesome & fun opportunity.

My vote is Florence and Rome. They can be combined in one trip.

I've been to Edinburgh. It's great, but I don't think it tops Florence. Perhaps because it rained the whole time I was in Scotland.

Additionally, you mention art history. I think Florence is tops for having the combination of being a beautiful place, plus having lots of art.