Menu

Our FAVOURITE day of the year!

Today we did the first tapping of our maple trees for the year! The kids were so excited. We had to wait until after supper as we were out all day, so they quickly scrafed down sandwhiches and out we went. This is the first year my youngest was really into it. He was too funny sticking his chin onto the tree and letting the sap drip onto his outstretched tongue! He had sap all over himself :lol:

We will hopefully have our first boil this weekend!!

As Northwest natives, the whole maple-syrup-from-trees thing is almost magical to us. We buy ours by the jug at the store. Long ago I visited Vermont and went to a maple sugar factory, but it wasn't tapping season. With our move east, I hope sometime to take the boys to New England and see this. To me, it is such an American tratidion.

Enjoy every bit!

Will you blog about it? I'd love to see!!

An actual second post on my blog :lol: I'll try and get some photos up over the next few weeks. It's funny, it is a lot of work but there is something so magical and addictive about it. I think because it is one thing that our whole family takes part in. My folks usually come over and help out on boiling days too. And the smell of boiling sap is incredible!

Have you read the book, Miracle on Maple Hill? It's such a great family read. . . ..

Being a native New Englander, I think we took sugaring for granted. Now that we live in the South, our friend are in AWE when we talk about sugaring, visiting a sugar shack, watching it being boiled. . . .such fun! My mouth is watering now -

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

We just finished editing a video that we made. My ds takes you through the steps of how we make maple syrup. The video has a black space near the end that somehow did not get edited out. There is a bit more of the video after that spot.

He would be tickled to wake up and find that he has had some viewers :)

Heather I have not read that book I don't think but I will definitely take a look for it. Thanks for the suggestion!

We just finished editing a video that we made. My ds takes you through the steps of how we make maple syrup. The video has a black space near the end that somehow did not get edited out. There is a bit more of the video after that spot.

He would be tickled to wake up and find that he has had some viewers :)

Heather I have not read that book I don't think but I will definitely take a look for it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Your son is adorable! He did a terrific job explaining the process.