Menu

RE: Phonics for a 6 yr old

Julie

Hello there :)

I would be lost without Reading A-Z. It's a bit pricey, but if I had checked it out first, I wouldn't have purchased OPGTR, ETC w/ TM's and BOB Books. I do like all three (a lot, in fact), but I had a hard time making everything "flow" and the BOB Books just weren't enough to back up the lesson. With Reading A-Z, it's all right there...phonics and reading for several levels of learning. You get a lesson plan, activities, worksheets and a "reader" for each lesson, along with an additional "Read Aloud" book and comprehension questions. I'd have to say the only downfall, and it's a biggie, is all the printing involved. The reading part of the program isn't very "classical", but it works well with my boys. They just aren't into the classics like I wish they would be :(

Julie,

AAS is a spelling and phonics program. It includes cards of the words that you spell, and I have my 7yo read 10 of those cards daily to increase fluency with her spelling time.

Another thing I do is have her read both a book at her learning level and an old book she read already read earlier that is now on the easy side.

Heather

An easy game:

You can move letters around on a metal cookie sheet to make words. Give him 6-8 consonants he has learned so far and a vowel and have him see how many words he can make! Once he gets good at this, see how many words he can make in 1 minute. You can also work on reinforcing what you've just learned--if you've done long a, let him try to make as many long a words as possible in a minute or two.

My phonics concentration game (can be played with you and/or his siblings):

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20P...rationgam.html

Read Write and Type is fun but a bit expensive, free demo online:

http://www.talkingfingers.com/

You can also use the magnetic letters in relay type races with his siblings. They can make longer words, 2 or 3 syllable words. Buy several sets of letters (88 cents at Wal-mart) and put them in bowls. Have them run and scoop up letters and then make words.

Have you tried working from a white board? My daughter did well with that, it held her attention more. Her reading also started improving a lot when we changed from book style programs and went to Webster's Speller on the white board--the combination of syllables and spelling was very helpful for her. I did both oral and written spelling. You could do more oral spelling or "written" spelling with magnetic letters if he doesn't enjoy writing yet.

ETC would not have survived with my hands on and very visual kids. We use McRuffy Phonics and love it. The lessons are short and very well thought out. I am draw to programs that are systematic in the approach and everything has a purpose. NO BUSY WORK! It includes writing, spelling and reading plus many extra "rules" that I get all excited about. I never learned this stuff and it's a sin that I didn't! There are also games that go along with it that my son loves. I would say that I spend about 5 minutes of prep time before each lesson. Not a big deal, but it doesn't teach itself like handing your kiddo a workbook and video.

Anyway, there are two versions: Black and White and Color. You wouldn't think that there was a huge difference, but you MUST get the color. The color isn't the only difference in the program, but it sure does help. The color package also includes upgrades in the quality of materials. Make sure you get the color one!

We are HUGE fans of Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading. It goes way beyond the basics of "easy reading." At the end of the book, a child is at quite an advanced reading level. In our house we work through OPGTR, use Bob books and others like it and then mostly read, read and read more books at all different levels. Sometimes it is a read aloud like "Green Eggs and Ham" or "Little House on the Prairie" and me letting dd read the words she can. It takes time to get over that reading hump from hard work to rewarding fun. We find lots of reading does the job.

We mostly use ETC, OPGTTR, and BOB books as well, but we also use a website called time4learning.com, and a set of card games called The Phonics Game. They love the last two things I listed. One other thing...there is another online program we tested and the kids *really* want me to get it. It's called readingeggs.com

It teaches dc to read by teaching them to spell so you have that whole spectrum covered. :-) It also does penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple composition; if you use a teacher guide, it can be a complete grammar and composition. Voila! Your one product for all English-related subjects, for up to 3 or 4 years :-)

Spalding Education International