Menu

Feedback please :-)

I'm working on the art for my new website. I have a VERY rough draft of a site mock up. It still needs a lot of work. The art is NOT finished.

After showing it to someone recently she remarked that it's very "elementary" looking.

I don't think she liked it very much. :o

I do tend to have a sort of juvenile style when it comes to art. I love kids illustrations, etc.

Anyway, I wanted to get some HONEST feedback. What do you all think of the following image?

What about the color scheme? Is it too brown? Too dark? Too cluttered?

Is it too kid like? Should I go in a different direction?

My idea is that I would make a bunch of different scenes. So like in the winter there were be snow, a little hat on the hedgehog, etc. In the spring maybe there would be blossoms on the tree. In the fall a little pile of leaves and so on. I also was playing with the idea of having the scene change dynamically depending on the time of day on the user's computer. Maybe some days I would change it so that it's raining in the scene and so on just for fun.

The site will have all my homeschool stuff, my blog and a possible gallery for my art.

It's all hand drawn (hand drawn via the computer and a tablet) and I could totally change the look and the feel if most people don't like it and go in a different direction.

Anyway, it would be a really big help if you will let me know what you think and be critical. :)

guesthollow.jpg

I do tend to have a sort of juvenile style when it comes to art. I love kids illustrations, etc.

Anyway, I wanted to get some HONEST feedback. What do you all think of the following image?

What about the color scheme? Is it too brown? Too dark? Too cluttered?

Is it too kid like? Should I go in a different direction?

My idea is that I would make a bunch of different scenes. So like in the winter there were be snow, a little hat on the hedgehog, etc. In the spring maybe there would be blossoms on the tree. In the fall a little pile of leaves and so on. I also was playing with the idea of having the scene change dynamically depending on the time of day on the user's computer. Maybe some days I would change it so that it's raining in the scene and so on just for fun.

The site will have all my homeschool stuff, my blog and a possible gallery for my art.

It's all hand drawn (hand drawn via the computer and a tablet) and I could totally change the look and the feel if most people don't like it and go in a different direction.

Anyway, it would be a really big help if you will let me know what you think and be critical. :)

Well, I am a Joan Walsh Anglund-Mary Engelbreit-Jan Brett kinda gal, so I like the concept. I particularly like the little hedgehog and think he would be cute in a little stocking cap. I like the little steps up to the door and the red, speckled mushrooms. The brown is nice. It keeps it in the hobbity realm instead of the Mickey Mouse realm of cartoony. Moreover, this is your website and it should reflect what you like.

The middle looks vacant like something should be there. Perhaps the menu could go there instead of along the bottom. The grapes look a little odd. I am not sure if that is because I am used to seeing grapes on a vine or because they could be a little looser, not so tightly fixed, maybe something more along the line of berries. Something that loops down a little lower. Also, could you crack the door a little or maybe hang a welcome sign or wreath on it. Something to make it visually inviting. As an alternative you could make the window bigger and have the little critter inside more visible. Then, it could add visual interest on that side and balance a decorated hedgehog without stealing the show.

HTH-

Mandy

I think it's quite cute...and different; not the usual type graphics you see on most hs websites. I believe the "grapes" are actually blackberries and I don't mind them. If I had to be critical, I would agree that the middle area does need something. The road, to me, looks out of place...I would just have all grass in this little forest scene. But maybe add something in there to make it less empty. Love the hedgehog!!

The road, to me, looks out of place...I would just have all grass in this little forest scene.

LOL! I thought it was a stream. On that note, maybe you need some rocks, a fallen log, cattails, or something in the stream to divide and swirl the water. If I am wrong and it is a path, then maybe it needs to be a more dirt-colored path with stones and stray grass.

Mandy