Menu

which is better and why - Lials algebra editions

someone was kind enough to send me the 6th edition and the 8th edition.

is one superior to the other and how so?

keeping in mind that math is this teacher's weakest subject:)

ETA: these are just the texts, no DVDs.

Edited by Martha

Do you have the 6th and 8th editions that use Beginning Algebra or Introductory Algebra for Algebra 1? Margaret Lial has 2 different Algebra series through the same publisher... same content but slightly different approach.

I personally prefer the 'paper back' series that uses Introductory Algebra for Algebra 1. I think the 6th edition has a musical instrument on the front and the 8th has a bridge. This series has practice problems in the margins. I also like the size of the font and the layout of the page. The student reads the lesson --working the side-bar practice problems as they go. I like the pace of this series...

These texts (both series) were designed for BLOCK scheduling--so each lesson is to be worked out over 2-3 days (odds only). The chapter reviews take about 3 days (I assign ALL problems).

To answer your question more specifically--there will be only MINOR differences between the texts (other than layout). These texts were designed for use in community colleges---and CCs like to change texts every year or two (makes more money for their bookstore). Minor tweaks and a cover change does the trick. DVTs (the optional video lessons) work pretty well across editions (just use the table of contents to match things up).

I use this series (7th and 8th editions) in my online tutoring classes. I'm pleased with the content and my students are all doing well with the series. My own dd's are using it too (Intermediate Algebra).

I have one of Margaret Lial's first Algebra 1 (Beginning Algebra) texts. It was a small book with TINY print--the style of the book is the same as the contemporary ones--lessons taught using clear examples.

for the most popular algebra programs....

I have been reading/re-reading old algebra posts. Can someone point me in the right direction???

Specifically, Jacobs, Lials, Foerester, Gefland and Dolciani???????? Which do you like best, and why?

We are debating whether to continue with TT algebra or not. I have another post/thread about our concerns (don't want to bore anyone!)

The texts you linked are College Algebra

This is also called 'Algebra 3'. This course is taken AFTER Algebra 2. It can be taken separately--or as one part of a Pre-Calc course (Pre-Calc is College Algebra and Trig combined).

What level of Algebra are you searching for?

If you want you can PM or e-mail me and I can give you ISBN numbers and/or links to where you can find them.

snikrepj @ gmail . com

The texts you linked are College Algebra

This is also called 'Algebra 3'. This course is taken AFTER Algebra 2. It can be taken separately--or as one part of a Pre-Calc course (Pre-Calc is College Algebra and Trig combined).

What level of Algebra are you searching for?

If you want you can PM or e-mail me and I can give you ISBN numbers and/or links to where you can find them.

snikrepj @ gmail . com

yep college alg is what it says...

for some reason I was given the impression that it's really not considered college level though?:confused::001_huh:

I'm looking for alg 1 and alg 2:)

Adding to the confusion... there is a course found in many parts of the country that is called 'Algebra for College Students'....it is a DEVELOPMENTAL course that reviews Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 (does not go further) and is NOT the same as College Algebra--which is Algebra 3.

College Algebra builds on Algebra 1 and 2--so it does contain a 'review'--but not enough to replace taking the courses! It is usually a 1 semester course (in high school OR college) and in most cases it is the lowest level FOR CREDIT college math course.

---

Look for either the 7th or 8th editions of Lial's Introductory Algebra. The 7th is a bit cheaper. I teach from both each week--they are VERY VERY similar.

7th ISBN is 0321064585

8th ISBN is 0321279212

They are just releasing the 9th edition of this series. The DVT's are supposedly a bit better but I'm not sure it is worth the extra $$$ as the text is over $100 (compared to less than $20 for the 7th edition).

If you ever have questions about how to schedule this text or if you ever need help with a problem please feel free to e-mail me.

Look for either the 7th or 8th editions of Lial's Introductory Algebra. The 7th is a bit cheaper. I teach from both each week--they are VERY VERY similar.

7th ISBN is 0321064585

8th ISBN is 0321279212

They are just releasing the 9th edition of this series. The DVT's are supposedly a bit better but I'm not sure it is worth the extra $$$ as the text is over $100 (compared to less than $20 for the 7th edition).

If you ever have questions about how to schedule this text or if you ever need help with a problem please feel free to e-mail me.

DVT's...what's that mean? Also, what kind of "teaching" is needed for this? I'm thinking of revisiting Algebra, and so I'd like to do it...a couple of lessons ahead. BUT, my husband is the math pro, so I'd like it to be something he could go over with her at night. Is it a math program that needs to be taught lesson by lesson?

Also, would you say that it is a full year program? My daughter is going to be in 6th and we're just done with LOF decimals and percents...so pre/algebra is next, sequence wise. I've pretty much decided that LOF is for "fun" and that she needs something that is more.

I'm having a harder time deciding on Math (all the ones talked about on this board) than any other subject!

Thanks!

Carrie:-)

7th ISBN is 0321064585

8th ISBN is 0321279212

ah okay is the intro alg = to alg 1 or is it more of a beginning alg?

I imagine if I ever find it, I will have questions.:)

DVT's...what's that mean? Also, what kind of "teaching" is needed for this?

Also, would you say that it is a full year program? My daughter is going to be in 6th and we're just done with LOF decimals and percents...so pre/algebra is next, sequence wise. I've pretty much decided that LOF is for "fun" and that she needs something that is more.

ditto what carrie asked. We are using Life of Fred and finding it is a great program for my oldest, but I want a more standard program to suppliment it (so he isn't freaked by the look of college materials when taking CC classes later!) and also to provide extra explainations when he hits a tough spot.

Everyone recommends Saxon normally, but Saxon was a nightmare for this child and I won't make him revisit that he** again.

thanks for all your help answering our (my) questions Jann! The value of a btdt mom in the trenches is priceless to me!

My son isn't super smart in math and I'm definitely math challenged. My son loves the directions in this book. They are very clear and step by step. We do not have the DVT's as I found some online that are free to use. They are for the ninth edition if I remember right and we're using the 7th. I thought this might be a problem but my son hasn't even needed them. He pretty much does this independently. I do grade everything and the student solutions manual has the problems solved step by step so you can see where you went wrong. My so likes the way the practice problems are set up on the sides. He likes this program so much we will stay with it for Pre-Calculus and have already bought the books for that program. It really is a good program and easy to implement even for math challenged mom's.

Beginning Algebra, Introductory Algebra and Algebra 1 are the SAME course.

Intermediate Algebra = Algebra 2

Pre-Calc = College Algebra plus Trig

where's the ripping out its own hair smiley?!

why can't they just call them what they are?:001_huh::blink:

is there a particuliar version/edition you recommend?

Again, what is a DVT? is it a DVD/CD-rom video? If so, is it neccessary to use the texts effectively? (My ds does horribly with DVD/CDs lessons, so we avoid these at all costs.)

The student text is all that you really need with this program--the solutions manual can be nice in a pinch (more so in the intermediate level). Search by isbn number. I tend to use amazon.com or half.com the most... You want texts in very good to like-new condition. I always reinforce the cover with self-laminating sheets or contact paper.

Look for the 7th or 8th editions of the paperback or 'developmental' series.

ISBNs for Introductory Algebra

7th student text 0321064585

8th student text 0321279212

Intermediate Algebra

8th is 0321279204

pm or e-mail if you need the 7th--it is in the other room with dd right now...

I just bought mine for $10. I'll let you know how they look when I get them:-)

Carrie:-)

yes do!

I know most folks would be fine with paperback, but I've got 9 kids to use this thing, so I'm thinking hardback is a requirement.:D

esp after the Saxon 6/5 paperback barely made it intact for just 1 year. :glare:

Which 9th edition did he bring home!

Yes, remember there are 2 different series by Lial...BOTH call the Algebra 2 level Intermediate... (growllll).

The 9th edition of the paperback series was just released--that could be why you are not finding it. In this case you can purchase it directly from the publisher.

The 9th edition of the 'hardback' series should be around... not as many in circulation as the other series is a bit more popular. Look at the cover or in the first/last pages of the text to see if a list of 'supplements' is there.

If all else fails--just give me the isbn of the text you have and I'll try to locate the solutions manual for you.

The solutions manual has worked out solutions for the odds. It is not needed that often at the Introductory Algebra level...it is nice to have for the Intermediate level...

FREE is always a GOOD thing!

Which 9th edition did he bring home!

The solutions manual has worked out solutions for the odds. It is not needed that often at the Introductory Algebra level...it is nice to have for the Intermediate level...

FREE is always a GOOD thing!

this is the one I have. dh brought home this one, but he can go back and get the 8th edition if it's easier to find the solution manual for it?:confused:

I know it was for me. It will help your search effort if you can find the ISBN number. They usually have all of them on the back cover. You might try Abebooks.com I've always had a lot of luck with them but you really need that ISBN numbers especially since there are two different versions out there.

I know it was for me. It will help your search effort if you can find the ISBN number. They usually have all of them on the back cover. You might try Abebooks.com I've always had a lot of luck with them but you really need that ISBN numbers especially since there are two different versions out there.

does anyone have isbn numbers for the 8th or 9th edition student solution manuals they could share?

For the green hardback 9th edition you linked to, the Student's Solution Manual ISBN is 0-321-15911-X. I have both; we are using them this year. I think I found it for about $10. Try googling the ISBN and see what happens.

We just started w/Lial's this year and we will use her precalc book also. Dd is not a video person and prefers to read the instruction and teach herself. Lials is perfect for this.

The TE is pretty much the same as the student text but with the answers filled in (evens and odds). It cannot be used as a student text but is nice to have so you do not have to 'share' during a lesson or when they have a question.

The solutions manual has worked out solutions for the ODD problems.

The student text has the answers to the odds (all I normally assign) as well as ALL of the answers to the chapter reviews and tests. (I assign ALL of the problems on the Chapter Reviews--and allow 2-3 days to complete.

Each lesson in the text = 2 days worth of assignments (around 20-30 or so problems each day).

The TE is pretty much the same as the student text but with the answers filled in (evens and odds). It cannot be used as a student text but is nice to have so you do not have to 'share' during a lesson or when they have a question.

The solutions manual has worked out solutions for the ODD problems.

The student text has the answers to the odds (all I normally assign) as well as ALL of the answers to the chapter reviews and tests. (I assign ALL of the problems on the Chapter Reviews--and allow 2-3 days to complete.

Each lesson in the text = 2 days worth of assignments (around 20-30 or so problems each day).

ug. why... ? why don't they work out all the solutions in the manual? and if they were going to pick odd or even, why didn't they choose to do even, since one already has the answers to odd?

oh well... that was a VERY helpful clarification. I think I'll go for the solution manual because I really want to be able to show them how to work the problem...

what would I do without you Jann? thanks yet again!:)

The odds are the problems routinely assigned. The evens are there for extra help (mainly for instructor to use during lessons and in tutorials).

The solutions manuals are HUGE already! They would be like phone books if they had both odds and evens.

I think they actually made 'instructors solutions manuals' that have the evens --but they are nearly impossible to find (very few printed).

I would not obsess over the soultions manuals-- the text has the answers in the back. The solutions manual is a LAST RESORT guide and should NOT be used very often...or it can become a crutch. Again most of my students (and my own children) DO NOT look at the solutions manual more than once or twice per level!

I would not obsess over the soultions manuals-- the text has the answers in the back. The solutions manual is a LAST RESORT guide and should NOT be used very often...or it can become a crutch. Again most of my students (and my own children) DO NOT look at the solutions manual more than once or twice per level!

got it.

i didn't really plan on my kids hardly ever looking at it, it's really more for MY teaching comfort.

For the green hardback 9th edition you linked to, the Student's Solution Manual ISBN is 0-321-15911-X. I have both; we are using them this year. I think I found it for about $10. Try googling the ISBN and see what happens.

We just started w/Lial's this year and we will use her precalc book also. Dd is not a video person and prefers to read the instruction and teach herself. Lials is perfect for this.

I just ordered it in "like new" condition from amazon for a total of $13.98 incl shipping.

thanks to you wonderful ladies I'm slowly stocking quality high school curriculum!

My son is working through this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Introductory-Algebra-7th-Margaret-Lial/dp/0321064585/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1235693253&sr=11-1

with the DVTs and the solution manual.

He's having the time of his life!

hey, the one dh brought home has never had the DVT opened?! password, disc and everything are right there cozy in the cover! woohoo.

I wonder if it'll still be able to be used in a year or two...