Menu

Moving to Richmond, Va area

We're moving:D

Looks like we'll be moving to the Richmond, Va area soon. I was wondering if anybody knew anything about homeschooling in the Powhatan, Chesterfield or possibly Goochland area of Virginia. Are these counties homeschooling friendly? Are the school board people (or whoever we turn in our paper work) friendly towards homeschoolers? Which counties have good library systems? Anything else I might need to know about this area?

I moved to the area 2 weeks ago. Chesterfield is an incredibly homeschool friendly county. I have been told it is extremely easy to be approved for religious exemption here if that is a route you choose to go. (I haven't gotten that far yet.)

This website is loaded with info............ http://home.comcast.net/~montonifamily/homeschool_richmond3_008.htm

There are also several yahoo groups. If you go to the homeschool groups page on the linked website, you'll find a list of groups, most of them have loops as well.

I haven't even thought about the library yet, so I can't answer that question. If you have any thing you want to ask, I'll try to answer.

I can't help with homeschooling there, but I grew up in Richmond and went to college there so if you have any other Richmond related questions, feel free to pm or e-mail me.

Also, there is a Virginia Homeschooling Convention...http://www.heav.org/convention/index.html that I've heard is really good. I went last year to the book sale only which in itself was pretty amazing. I'll probably go again this year to at least part of it (my parents are still in Richmond so I have easy babysitting and it's a good reason to visit).

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

and have lived here 10mo. Our homeschooling experience has been great here. There are so many field trips to do around here because there is so much history! We have had a blast this year....have even done quite a few trips last summer to Busch Gardens for fun...check out the VA Fun pass at the BG website.

Join this forum site and they will keep you up on all the latest happenings in the homeschool arena

www.rrhe.org

We just did our yearly testing through the public school and it turned out great. I have always done my dss testing but ,Chesterfield County schools offer testing to h'schoolers. I know some would rather not mix with the public school community, but all the teachers were so nice. The kids tested at an annex, so it was all homeschoolers. They keep a copy of the scores, so I don't even have to send any test scores in this summer.

Those are some of the toughts that came to me just now. Please feel free to pm me if you have any more questions.

Karen:lurk5: