Menu

Fiesta Ware durability ...

We got Fiesta ware as wedding gifts, 9 years ago. It's, thus far, mostly survived four kids.(There have been a couple of dropped and broken pieces over the years) I regularly put it in the oven (on "Keep Warm", anout 170 F) and it microwaves fine.

I the old (light) yellow, persimmon, old (light) turquoise, and chartreuse. Marks have more to do with the quality of the flatware than the dishes. I do have some marks on plates from our old flatware, but nothing major. Our newer flatware doesn't leave marks (and I would hope not because I recently discovered that a tea spoon is $10... good grief!) I know my mother used to use some sort of polish recommended for her matte Pfaltzgraff plates to get the marks off (ironically marks from the same flatware that left marks on my Fiesta ware), but I've just been too lazy to get any. For nearly a decade. Frankly, if I was terribly annoyed by it, I'd probably just take them off with some Barkeeper's Friend, which is the same thing I use to take similar metal marks off my porcelain sink.

Overall, it's heavy and sturdy; it was made to withstand restaurant and other heavy use, back in the day. My new stuff and my vintage stuff are all without chips. My only objection is the size of the mugs, but they're perfect for the kids or for serving coffee when we're entertaining, so...

we got ours for our wedding and I still have most of them. The ones that have been broken were by me, lol. I am quite known for dropping dishes, but amazingly I have a lot left!

I don't have chips on any of them. I do have some markings on the center I assume from the metal of knives??? not really sure but it looks like a grey silverware marking.

I want to get some more but can't decide between that or Corelle. I like how light the Corelle dishes are but they get so HOT in the microwave. The Fiestaware is heavy and so my kids are not always allowed to carry them to the table......we have tile floors :lol:

money wise they have lasted and look great almost 11 years later :-)

Very durable. I bought mine to replace my Nikko dinnerware that chipped easily. The only time my FW has chipped is when it was dropped on to a ceramic tile floor, then it just broke!

I swear by it. It's the best dinnerware we've ever had. Are you looking at megachina.com? They seem to have the best prices, unless you can find an excellent sale.

You'll love them! I just got ours in a few weeks ago (if any pieces are broken or chipped, email megachina and they'll replace them asap). I ordered a 10-color rainbow (I figured it will be easier to me to add additional pieces like the serving bowls, etc if I had a LOT of colors to choose from! LOL)

They're sooooo pretty. Mine are only a few weeks old, but so far, they're holding up just fine. ;)

Enjoy them! :D (the tangerine and sunflower are my favorite 2 colors, lol)

P.S. If you get silverware marks on any of your plates from flatware - try using the product called "Bar Keeper's Friend". It works WONDERS on those marks! I used to use it every so often on our white-centered dinnerware and ALL the marks would completely disappear - they looked brand new as long as we had them! (It looks like Comet, but it's non abrasive).

Edited by orangearrow

I have one set of white Fiesta ware. Extremely durable. I've had it for about 15 years. No chips. It does show wear like stir marks in the cups after a long while, but it doesn't look bad. Holds up well in the microwave, takes a beating in the sink, washes well. Ours has survived many moves. It is cute, classic and looks great on the table and in the cupboard stacked.

My only complaint is that is heavy. That's probably why Fiesta is so durable, but I prefer my cheap Corelle for its lightness.