Menu

What do you use for family devotionals?

We are currently using Big Truths for Little Kids by Susan Hunt. I think the devotionals will work for any elementary age. It uses the Westminster Catechism as a guide with the questions and answers and also has a story that goes throughout the book about a new Christian boy and his family as they relate to a Christian family helping them in their walk. I think it gives a strong theological background to kids and it is fun too. I do not make my kids memorize all of the cat. questions, some are way above their heads. My kids enjoy it. We also have Ruth Graham's book Step into the Bible 100 Bible stories for Family Devotions. It has shorter devos with questions, lots of nice pictures and memory verses. It will either go through a section of scripture or have a little personal type story with scripture.

We've tried a variety of things. The Vos Child's Story Bible was excellent, and the Training Hearts Teaching Minds book was helpful up to a point, but what seems to work the best for us right now is the real Bible. :D We just finished the Gospel of John, and now we're in Acts. Dh reads a bit to us, asks questions to be sure everyone understands what happened and how it relates to other things we've read, and then we discuss any connections we can make to the way we should live our lives. We end with prayer. The next day, he reviews what we've covered so far in that book of the Bible, asking questions for the dc to answer, and then starts reading again where he left off. Even the youngest can understand and contribute.

For the entire family? Or for the younger children?

The younger children (8 and 5) and I are reading through "Leading Little Ones to God." We also read Vos' Story Bible for bedtime stories.

With older ds (13), we use "Training Hearts, Teaching Minds" (Meade). Ds also uses the "Daily Bread" devotional series for his own personal devotional time. He also is reading through the Bible, a little bit every day.

I agree with the poster who said that the best thing is actual time in the Bible. As a family, we're reading Scripture together. It's amazing how much those little hearts absorb!