Menu

ds 9 has oily hair and dandruff - can anyone here recommend a new shampoo?

I have the same problem - oily hair, dry scalp. This time of year is particularly troubling!

This may be too out there for you, but I went to washing LESS. Seems contradictory, but really ... what it eventually did was stablize my oil production. Frequently washing (as one seemingly needs to do with very oily hair) was only increasing my scalp's oil production, thus making it a cyclical problem - the more I washed, the more oil I made. So now I wash twice a week - once with Aubrey's organic, and a second time with only baking soda and a vinegar rinse. The rest of the week I'll skip washing, or I'll simply just rinse with water.

My son is an active kid, always getting dirty, so washing less isn't a solution for him LOL. If it were my boy, I would just lightly sprinkle baking soda straight into his hair, and have him shake the excess out (in between weekly washings). It should absorb the oil, and is about as cheap and natural as solutions come. My son has oily hair, and we wash his hair twice a week. The other days he simply does a water rinse during his shower. I use the Aubrey's on him, too. Love Aubrey's :)

My dd, 12, has fine hair (but lots of it - we have to have it thinned!) and was looking very oily a day or so after washing - turns out she was NOT rinsing the conditioner out very well! Plus i booted her up from the 99cent Suave scented stuff ("Oh, Mom, can I smell like strawberries this week?") to pricier stuff (whatever was on sale at no more than $5 a bottle). And told her to RINSE longer!!!

as he entered puberty. Not rinsing well was part of the problem, as was the fact that he didn't seem to think he needed to even use shampoo (sometimes he would use bar soap, and sometimes he'd just get it all wet and not lather it with anything!). Putting my hands on his head and demonstrating just *how* to wash his hair also helped. This was good for my daughter, too; I think unless they get a real tutorial, some kids think that just letting the water run over their head is sufficient. They have to be taught to get their hands in there and massage that scalp!

The T-gel shampoo really helped, as did a really short hair cut. The short hair cut helped make the washing/rinsing much easier. Also, at times, if I suspected him of shirking on the full job, or if the dandruff seemed to be especially troublesome (it seemed cyclical for him), I'd have him lay on the counter and wash him in the sink myself, so there would be time to let the dandruff shampoo lather do its thing before rinsing.

Best cure came this year - the discovery of girls! Now he is much more careful about his personal appearance and hygiene. Wise moms told me this day would come, and it has been a joy to behold!

You've gotten some good advice. I have to remind my boys when I start noticing their hair looking oily to make sure they rinse well. Also, when I see the dandruff a week of using head and shoulders works well. LIke someone mentioned cheap shampoo used over long periods of time can cause issues sometimes so getting quality shampoo like pert, pantene, prell helps.