Menu

Apologia Elementary series if you aren't a young-earth creationist?

jenadina

Okay, here's the deal: I've got a son who LOVES to read about science in his spare time, and I think he would go ga-ga over apologia's elementary astronomy book. However, we are NOT young-earth creationists, or even Christian. Bible references do not bother me (I'm sort of an evolutionary creationist; I think humans were always human even if we resembled monkeys at one point, and I don't see why God couldn't have made the big bang in order to create the universe...) but I'm concerned about the young earth thing. I'm cool with getting library books and talking to him about different theories about the creation of the earth and its age, but I want to be prepared.

SO...will this book work for my purposes, or is it strictly for young-earthers?

We use BFSU for our actual science program, so this would be strictly supplemental and not at all required.

Help!!

TIA!

We're using Apologia Astronomy and we're not strict young-earthers. My DH believes the Lord created the world using evolution and I can see that both old and young earth creationists have valid points. I guess you'd say that we're just a confused group of people!

Anyway, the astronomy text has a very explicit young earth point of view. We're in the middle of lesson three and there have already been several times where the author pushes the young earth creationist point of view. It doesn't bother me - I find it interesting.

I'd say it would just depend on how much the young earth point of view bothers you. If it is a deal breaker, you may want to stay away from Apologia.

We aren't strict young-earthers either. We also talk about evolution and watch many shows about it. We aren't anti-evolution but do believe God created everything. We use Apologia and talk a lot about all the different science we are exposed to through reading, videos, television, etc.

You could use the materials the way we use other more secular materials. I suggest you look at it first before buying. For some people it just won't work.

Does anyone know where I might see an example of this particular thing from the book? The only samples I have seen don't get into that. So far it's looking like it might be okay, but that it wouldn't be a good idea to just let him loose with it, which is what I was hoping to be able to do.

I used two of the elementary books (astronomy and flying creatures) successfully, and we're not young-earth creationists either. I don't mind young-earth references. The elementary books mention it, but it's not a primary focus in the text. The books had more of a "God made birds wonderful because..." approach.

It wasn't until General Science that we really had issues. My dd and I felt that the anti-evolution axe-grinding was considerable at that point, and really overtook the rest of the text. Sometimes the anti-evolution thing would come in at points where it seemed irrelevant to the topic being discussed and would go on for several paragraphs, in a very disparaging tone (as far as we were concerned.) But the elementary books didn't have that at all.

Hope this helps. :)

Astronomy might be the only one you would have a fair amount to filter. I have not found issues with Flying Creatures or Swimming Creatures that could not be easily filtered if you wished. We did Botany but it was so long ago, I cant recall anything overwhelming.

Apologia General would be a major issue for you if you believed any of evolutionary theory. The amount of material that would require filtering would make the course very frustrating.

Does anyone know where I might see an example of this particular thing from the book? The only samples I have seen don't get into that. So far it's looking like it might be okay, but that it wouldn't be a good idea to just let him loose with it, which is what I was hoping to be able to do.

Here are a couple of excerpts we've read. I hope this is helpful.

From p. 20:

"Thermonuclear fusion tells us that there could not have been life on earth billions, or even millions, of years ago." [Two paragraphs follow expanding on this topic]

From p. 33:

"Amazingly, parts of Mercury have no cratars. The fact that parts of Mercury are craterless is difficult to understand for those believe the solar system is millions or billions of years old." [One paragraph on this topic]

The text as a whole is explicitly Christian. For example, there is a page on how God is brighter than the sun, one page on the Gospel in relation to constellations, etc. Honestly, if it didn't fit my world view, I wouldn't buy it. From page 153: "We don't need the stories in the stars anymore because we have God's written word. Praise God! Don't forget to read your Bible; it's the best book in your house and the only one that is a living book. Remember, it is the very World of God."

We are not young earth nor Christian either and we are going to use it anyway. I wouldn't feel comfortable letting my kids loose with it themselves though. I'd like to make sure we have discussion about it all, then they can make up their own minds.

I am going to be supplementing, if needed, with the Complete Book of Our Solar System. It might be a good option for you? Here's a link at Amazon so you can see it:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Our-Solar-System/dp/1577686055/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235091525&sr=1-7

HTH,

Your kid sounds bright and into the subject, so I would assume he can figure it out himself, but that's me.

We so believe in a young earth and the Astronomy book works well for us, but it's the first Apologia resource we've used. Everything else so far has been secular and very pro-evolution. My kids see that and we sometimes talk about it, but dh's and my world-view is anchored much deeper inside of them, that it's really not an issue.

I let mine read Horrible Histories for the same reason. Even though some stuff in there is off the wall (try and curse somebody like the old Egyptians???), most is very informative and funny and they are more than able to pick out the inappropriate aspects, since I interact a lot with them the rest of the time.

I do believe in young earth and creation,

but I wanted to say that when I look at curriculum I don't discriminate because of evolution. I read it and my kids and I discuss it. I tell them that "some people believe this way, this is how I believe..."

In saying that, if you think your son would enjoy it, I'd go ahead and get it. You can always explain to him that different people hold different beliefs.

Here are a couple of excerpts we've read. I hope this is helpful.

From p. 20:

"Thermonuclear fusion tells us that there could not have been life on earth billions, or even millions, of years ago." [Two paragraphs follow expanding on this topic]

From p. 33:

"Amazingly, parts of Mercury have no cratars. The fact that parts of Mercury are craterless is difficult to understand for those believe the solar system is millions or billions of years old." [One paragraph on this topic]

I think those excerpts would make me very uncomfortable with trusting Apologia as a science texts. the inference drawn from thermonuclear fusion in the text in regards to life on earth (from my googling) for example isn't reasonable or grounded in good science. If that's an indication of how Apologia approaches science it would make me more than a little uncomfortable.

Let me say that I've had that problem with secular texts and books as well. Concepts vaguely mentioned and wild overgeneralizations made to come to a wrong conclusion. I think it reflects a general problem with science today.

If you are bothered at all by young-earth or heavy religious references, then the Apologia books aren't for you. I had to sell the Flying Creatures book, there was way too much editing on the fly for me, and a lengthy discourse (most of a chapter, as I recall) on how scientists all accept the Great Flood as the reason dinosaurs disappeared.

It was a disappointment, because they are enjoyable books beyond that.

Michelle T

If you are bothered at all by young-earth or heavy religious references, then the Apologia books aren't for you. I had to sell the Flying Creatures book, there was way too much editing on the fly for me, and a lengthy discourse (most of a chapter, as I recall) on how scientists all accept the Great Flood as the reason dinosaurs disappeared.

Yipes. I think I'd worry about the stuff I caught but be more worried about the stuff I let pass or didn't even notice.