Menu

Were the tadpole kits hits at your house?

rafiki

Unfortunately we had the tadpole for about 3 months and nothing happened. I mean nothing. No buds..not feet, nothing. We did everything the directions said. We kept the tank clean, we used only bottled water, we didn't overfeed or underfeed. It died after that. We never were able to see anything.

Hopefully our experience is not typical, but it felt like a lot of money to spend for no result.

Oh. So it wasn't just us? LOL!

We are going to try again though.... they liked watching them, but nothing happened!

You might check - i'm pretty sure our PetCo carries them. They are the small ones vs the giant thing we got in the mail. I was going to buy a few one day but there was an issue. I have no idea what the issue was anymore - but something. Gee, i'm getting old.

I think we had some out back the kids were going to try too! LOL!!!

At least we aren't alone in our tadpole failure......

Unfortunately we had the tadpole for about 3 months and nothing happened. I mean nothing. No buds..not feet, nothing. We did everything the directions said. We kept the tank clean, we used only bottled water, we didn't overfeed or underfeed. It died after that. We never were able to see anything.

Hopefully our experience is not typical, but it felt like a lot of money to spend for no result.

Same thing happened here. We had the Planet Frog kit.

We just scooped the tadpoles from puddles in our yard and put them into a tank filled with a few inches of our stream water. We added a few large rocks for the frogs to climb up on after changing. The first few tries we used our well water and the tadpoles died within hours. Turns out our water is copper tainted from the pipes. And that kills fish and tadpoles.

We switched to using water from the stream and the tadpoles thrived. We bought tadpole food from the local pet aquarium for a couple of bucks. We tried the frozen lettuce but it was too messy.

We did release the frogs afterwards but it took several days to convince dd to do so!

We live in Florida and got our tadpoles (and the water) from a pond near our home. We had a fish tank and just added a few landscape rocks and some twigs and leaves for effect ;). We also had some leftover turtle food from our former pet "Skittles" that we fed them. (He met his demise in the backyard when my then 5yo put him out to "get some sun". We found his shell about 3 months later.:bored:)

Anyway, we had frogs a-plenty and it didn't cost us a thing. If you can wait until spring or summer and you have water and tadpoles nearby, you can definitely have success the cheap way. The boys loved it!

Edited to say: We kept them in our home and it's generally about 78-F.

Edited by angela&4boys
temp

We always get them at our farm. They really aren't hard to find, if you have access to creek or pond nearby. Don't use water from your house though, it kills them. My parents always use pond water to fill their water. They are cool to watch.

We've had great success with the Grow-a-Frog kits and tadpoles. (I've done it three times over the years.) There is a little small print in the directions that is easy to miss, though, that when the tadpole begins to sprout legs to stop feeding it during the transformation. To ignore this will most likely prevent it happening as it should.

Only caution with this particular tadpole - it is an aquatic frog that remains in the water throughout its life. No rocks necessary. But it is not native to the U.S. and should not be released. We just put ours in a regular aquarium. They actually are as much fun or more than fish for pets. We've even sen ours lay eggs. Of course with no daddy frog, that was the end of that. Our current frog will actually come up out of the water if we hold food over the tank and take the pellets right off of our fingers! Big hit with visitors to see a "trained" frog.

We have the grow-a-frog. We got our tadpole on Janurary 26th. He currently has all four legs and a pretty long tail. He's getting more and more "frog looking" every day. (In fact, he's just lost his barbels today.)

They are African Clawed frogs and cannot be released since they are not a native species.

Supposedly, they can live up to 20 years but none of mine have lived that long. I had one in college who lived about 7 years. If you get a male, he'll be noisy. My last one sang every night.

Ours died, too. We had him... her... it... for a couple of months and then it just rolled over and polished itself off the old-fashioned way. I flushed it the old-fashioned way, too... and then had to break the news to the boy. We're going down to the pond on a weekly basis this year, I think. Save us all some time and effort.

Ditto here.

and put them in a small aquarium along with the local water from same ditch. I boiled lettuce (green leaf) and froze it for them. Within two weeks we had frogs. Unfortunately someone forgot to put the rock in the tank like their mother had told them to so one frog drowned. Even more unfortunately another frog was crushed by the person who put the rock in the tank. All the others made it though! My girls really enjoyed watching the transformation. One poor frog ended up with a malformed front leg. My girls found him a couple of times later (after release), so he did survive for a little while.

You might consider just looking in your local ditches and ponds. I wanted frogs that I could release into the wild. I don't believe the frogs in the tadpole kits are native to my area.

We've had great success with the Grow-a-Frog kits and tadpoles. (I've done it three times over the years.) There is a little small print in the directions that is easy to miss, though, that when the tadpole begins to sprout legs to stop feeding it during the transformation. To ignore this will most likely prevent it happening as it should.

Great info! We are looking into buying one of these kits, and I might have missed this... thanks. I am notorious for killing just about every living thing that darkens our doors, so maybe this one will be successful! :001_smile:

Susan