Menu

7th grade curriculum advice

JenniferVA

I'd like some advice. I've barely begun researching what my upcoming 7th grader should do come August, when our family starts the next school year. I would like to know what curriculum you thought was wonderful and also what you thought was a waste of time and money.

He will not be doing any more spelling and grammar. He is doing well in all his subjects, but is weak in logic (haven't done much in this area). We will continue with CW for composition work and will be studying some systematic theology with his father. He is completing SWO H and Shurley 7 in a few weeks. He is doing Henle I, parts 3-5 with the Memoria Press guide and Saxon 8/7 (not tied to Saxon, would prefer another program).

I need recommendations for Latin, math, literature, history, science and logic (or anything else that I might be leaving out).

Feeling a little lost right now regarding 7th grade stuff, but excited and hopeful that the lightbulb will go on soon,

Jen

Mom to 4 great boys, ages 12, 10, 8 & 6

if you don't mind the Christian content. Those are 2 that my dd is doing next year. Both have gotten good reviews here. I don't know what phase of History you are in, but Diana Waring has a good program for that age (History Alive). She has Ancients and has just revised her Romans, Reformers and Revolutionaries (middle ages). We haven't started Latin or logic yet. We're using Saxon right now so I don't have reviews for any other math programs.

Literature

LL7 is a full year program on beginning literature analysis, with realistic novel, fantasy novel, autobiography, short story, and poetry all covered in a total of 8 units. Depending on abilitiy, the program could be used by a 6th-8th grade student. The program includes great teaching notes (written to the student) on the literary element covered in each unit; worksheet pages to practice using/identifying the literary element, and beginning analysis; vocabulary and comprehension questions; longer writing assignment at the end of each unit. The LL8 program has 12 units, and, depending on ability, could be used by a 7th-9th grade student)

See sample pages at Hewitt Homeschooling:

http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/book/blight.asp

We did LL7 and LL8 last year with a 7th and an 8th grader; this year we're doing Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings, which fits in well with us beginning to read/discuss the a few of the Great Books in the Well Trained Mind style. Next year, in 9th grade, the younger son will do LL8, and the older son who will be 10th gr. will either do some of the LL British Lit. units, or the Sonlight British Lit.

For Logic, our boys really enjoyed first going through:

- Dandylion Logic

Logic Countdown (gr. 3-4)

Logic Liftoff (gr. 4-5)

Orbiting with Logic (gr. 6-7)

- various critical thinking books such as:

Critical Thinking in Images, Patterns and Logic

Dr. Funster Think-a-Minutes

Think-a-Grams or Plexers

Mindbenders or Perplexors

And then in 7th-9th grades using:

Fallacy Detective

Thinking Toolbox

(Art of Argument is another possibility)

Not a big fan of formal science textbooks here, so up through 8th grade, we used "Reader's Digest: How...Works" (one a year in middle school) along with matching TOPS units. This year we're also trying Apologia (Biology for the current 9th grader), but not too fond of the overly chatty writing style and definite drop in hands-on experiments. Considering Prentice Hall instead.

Best of luck in finding what works for your family! One surprise for me -- these years actually take *more* of my time than I expected, as we do read and discuss a lot together. Enjoy -- we've found the middle school/early high school years to be a wonderful bonding time with our sons as we discover literature and logic together! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Hi Jen,

I have 3 boys close in age to yours.

Here is our 7th grade schedule next year for my oldest son:

R&S Artpac 7

R&S Grammar 7

R&S Spelling 7

R&S Math 8

Omnibus I

CW Homer B & Beg Poetry B

Wheelock's Latin

New Testament Greek for Beginners

We aren't doing a formal science program or logic for 7th grade.

I plan to do Traditional Logic (TL) I in 8th grade when we get to Algebra I or I'll wait until 9th grade and do TLI and TLII together; I need to see how we do in 7th grade first. He's done a little work with the pre-logic materials (mindbenders, Thinking Toolbox, etc.), but honestly, it just seemed like busywork, so I've opted to hold off and start with TLI when he's ready.

HTH!

For my current 6th/7th grade ds:

Bible studies/book studies (reading Acts, The Case For Faith, The Case For Christ, Be The Change, Foxe's Book of Martyrs)

Chalkdust PreAlg

LC 1 & 2

Apologia General Science

Fallacy Detective logic

Writing (w/ grammar instruction) w/ local tutor

Reading/Literature (Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, Golden Goblet, Lord of The Flies, plus random non-fiction)

History (my hodge podge of various sources)

We'll go back to Easy Grammar after Natl. Latin Exam in March

TT ALGebraI

Lightning Lit 7

Apologia General Science

Latina Christiana I

CW Aesop B/ Elementary Diagramming

Traditional Logic I :Possibly need to look over content

Our Pioneers and Patriots/Sudden interest in American History

Catechism/ Bible

God and The History of Art

Boy Scouts Requirements

Informally/Orally Discuss

Famous men of Rome

Famous Men of Greece

I'd like some advice. I've barely begun researching what my upcoming 7th grader should do come August, when our family starts the next school year. I would like to know what curriculum you thought was wonderful and also what you thought was a waste of time and money.

He will not be doing any more spelling and grammar. He is doing well in all his subjects, but is weak in logic (haven't done much in this area). We will continue with CW for composition work and will be studying some systematic theology with his father. He is completing SWO H and Shurley 7 in a few weeks. He is doing Henle I, parts 3-5 with the Memoria Press guide and Saxon 8/7 (not tied to Saxon, would prefer another program).

I need recommendations for Latin, math, literature, history, science and logic (or anything else that I might be leaving out).

Feeling a little lost right now regarding 7th grade stuff, but excited and hopeful that the lightbulb will go on soon,

Jen

Mom to 4 great boys, ages 12, 10, 8 & 6

For math, my ds likes Chalk Dust, well, as much as he likes any math. :D The DVD's and consulting service (free with a new purchase) makes ds independent and it's easy on me. Both are important considerations at this age.

For logic, I like Mind Benders. Thinking Tool box was also good. I'm following it up with Art of the Argument. I haven't seen Fallacy Detective, but my understanding is that as a liberal Christian, I might go a bit too ballistic with it.

For history and literature, I'm basically following the recommendations in TWTM. I do use study guides when they're available. I also add in the Early Times series by Susan Strauss Art and have ds answer the chapter questions. It has been very successful and minimal prep work on my part.