Menu

I don't want to fail!

BMW

I've been posting about my decision to bring a couple more of my children home from ps.

I have a real fear of failing. I know that I laid a great foundation and that my oldest 4-5 children are well educated. But, the younger ones got lost in the shuffle and didn't get their foundation. They have been in ps for 2 years now.

Over the years I came up with many great plans. I tried different curriculum and got excited each year. To be fair to myself, each time I had things running smoothly, I got shot full of holes. My dh was abusive and controlling and threw wrenches in the mix every time things were going well. But, I still have this risidual feeling/belief/thought that I haven't followed through in the past and that I will fail my young ones.

I mentioned yesterday that I AM having success with my 6th grader using k12 with all of the curriculum planned out, daily lessons to log on to and click on. I am currently checking out resources to use with 3-4 children this next year, all in grades 4-7 (1 in 4th, 2 in 5th and 1 in 7th, but working at 5th grade level, so, 3 in 5th). It seems like a dream come true to imagine combining their lessons and decreasing my work load (previously when I homeschooled I had K, 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th and 9th and it was overwhelming for me and as I mentioned, there was always some drama and a lot of stress in the home).

I want to decide soon what curriculum to go with... either k12 for each of them (I really, really do not like their science and their history is very burdensome) or another option where I choose my own math, science, history, etc. I know I asked a lot of questions already, so I don't know that I am asking again... I guess I'm just sharing that I am afraid to get excited about something and make choices and then fail... although life IS much better nowadays!!

I am using k12 currently.

I am looking at Ambleside Online.

In the past I have loved Veritas Press and TWTM, but fail without laid out plans.

I don't know what I want to use for math... I don't like Saxon texts. I did enjoy using Right Start Math k-4th. I need 4th grade and 5th grade math programs.

I really need to reel these boys in, too. When they are home, they are all over the place, resisting first time obedience (or second or third). I would definately want to focus on getting them to be quiet and think...

Thanks again for listening... any ideas or encouragement are welcome!

I've been posting about my decision to bring a couple more of my children home from ps.

I have a real fear of failing. I know that I laid a great foundation and that my oldest 4-5 children are well educated. But, the younger ones got lost in the shuffle and didn't get their foundation. They have been in ps for 2 years now.

Over the years I came up with many great plans. I tried different curriculum and got excited each year. To be fair to myself, each time I had things running smoothly, I got shot full of holes. My dh was abusive and controlling and threw wrenches in the mix every time things were going well. But, I still have this risidual feeling/belief/thought that I haven't followed through in the past and that I will fail my young ones.

I mentioned yesterday that I AM having success with my 6th grader using k12 with all of the curriculum planned out, daily lessons to log on to and click on. I am currently checking out resources to use with 3-4 children this next year, all in grades 4-7 (1 in 4th, 2 in 5th and 1 in 7th, but working at 5th grade level, so, 3 in 5th). It seems like a dream come true to imagine combining their lessons and decreasing my work load (previously when I homeschooled I had K, 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th and 9th and it was overwhelming for me and as I mentioned, there was always some drama and a lot of stress in the home).

I want to decide soon what curriculum to go with... either k12 for each of them (I really, really do not like their science and their history is very burdensome) or another option where I choose my own math, science, history, etc. I know I asked a lot of questions already, so I don't know that I am asking again... I guess I'm just sharing that I am afraid to get excited about something and make choices and then fail... although life IS much better nowadays!!

I am using k12 currently.

I am looking at Ambleside Online.

In the past I have loved Veritas Press and TWTM, but fail without laid out plans.

I don't know what I want to use for math... I don't like Saxon texts. I did enjoy using Right Start Math k-4th. I need 4th grade and 5th grade math programs.

I really need to reel these boys in, too. When they are home, they are all over the place, resisting first time obedience (or second or third). I would definately want to focus on getting them to be quiet and think...

Thanks again for listening... any ideas or encouragement are welcome!

Given what you've said, I would do K12 for the year for a few reasons.

You know what to expect. You know how it's laid out and you know you can do it. You've done it! So there is no need to worry about failing. Bringing 3 additional boys home (and working on attitudes/behavior) will be stressful enough without adding additional worry about how well you're progressing with an unfamiliar curriculum. Also, if the boys are struggling with obedience, then having a "third" party (ie the computer) tell them what to do instead of you might be helpful while you work on the obedience. I would also think that Ambelside might be a bit of a change for them from PS, and that K12 would be a little more familiar in terms of schooling.

So I say stick with K12 for next year, and once everyone is used to being home then branch out if you'd like.

Well since you are doing well with k12 and you are talking about major change stick with what you know so you can work on the issues arising from bringing the others home (unless this style would be totally unsuitable for one or more of those children).

Also would you be doing k12 through a charter school where you are stuck with their choices? or would you be buying it yourself and you could customize it more? If you buy it yourself, maybe you could swap out either their science or history for something you find more palatable (I would start with just one of them so you don't overwhelm yourself).

I think trying to change the curriculum and adding 3 new students would be a bit overwhelming.

Thanks... this helps. I guess I needed someone to say that!

I have to use a charter at this time. I guess since my 7th grader will be working at 5th grade level and I will have possibly 3 in 5th, I really can combine some things...

I will add in my own choice of Bible and character training... whole 'nother subject!! Thanks again. Like I said, I needed someone to tell me to stick with what works and not feel bad that I am not working out twtm or cm or some other great program!!

I agree with sticking with K12. This is a process and like JudoMom said it will need to start with obedience, routine and stuff like that. K12 will help you with that. From what I've heard and seen K12 does have high standards of learning. You won't be failing them academically at all. And you've already started the journey of healing from the past.