Menu

2.5yo has solid vomit hours after eating; How worried should I be?

My 2.5yr old woke up crying 1.5hr ago, sat up and kinda gagged a bit, then started throwing up. But it was solid - like stiff mashed potatoes (which is what it is - she ate quite a bit of fries and not much else this evening). We cleaned her up and took her temp under the arm - 95.7. I know it is 1-2 degrees lower than the real temp, but still, that seems low. 10-15min later she threw up again - same consistency. Then she seemed fine, and we went back to bed. Now (15min ago), she just threw up a few remaining potatoes and all the breast milk she just got while trying to nurse back to sleep. The milk was partially digested, though. Now she seems fine again, but is kinda pale. Her underarm temp went up, to 96.5. I plan to take her to the doctor when they open at 8. But it worries me, and I could only find one hit on google for solid vomit in children and it was no help. What is going on?

My children both got a stomach virus right before Christmas with exactly this happening. It woke them up about 1 AM and the vomiting began. It continued for a few hours and then, later in the day, they felt fine again. At first, liquids were problematic too but then I was able to get them to start drinking slow sips. Hopefully, it passes quickly like ours did.

For a while it seemed she was feeling better, so we didn't go in. But she keeps throwing up every 45min or so, even though there is nothing left, and now it is yellow tinged. So I called the doctor, and I'm waiting for a callback. She is finally thirsty (before she barely took a sip when I offered), so maybe that's a good sign.