Menu

Ds3 is losing his smashed fingernail. What should I do?

On the 19th, ds3 smashed his finger and it was immediately apparent that he'd lose his nail. ::shudder::

Well, now he's losing it. It's still attached a little bit to the scab underneath, but at least the top half is completely detached and his can lift it up and down. ::shiver::

Will it fall off on it's own (it is completely white)? Should I just leave it alone? I'm not sure how to handle it, but it's making me gag. :ack2:

What do I do?

http://www.drgreene.com/21_641.html

My thumbnail fell off when I was four years old (smashed in a gate), and I can still remember how it was gooey underneath the old nail. The new nail was soft, and the thumb's tip was sticky and tender. It grew back without any problems, though.

If the old nail is still partially attached, you might want to put a band-aid on it to prevent it from snagging before it's completely ready to fall off. Then, when it does fall off, keep the finger clean and dry, and give the new nail time to grow in. HTH.

Edited by Sahamamama

I have lost a few toenails after running marathons. I never really "did" anything other than cleaning it and putting a band-aid on it. It did not hurt a ton while growing back but was a little sensitive. I imagine the fingernail may be more sensitive though. :grouphug: Hope he feels better soon!

Edited by runninmommy
I can't spell today...I give up

I would just grab it with a tissue and pull it off. If it can be lifted and lowered that easily, it's not *really* attached to anything but gunk and a little bit of cuticle. I've done this a few times, to my dd's fingernail, and my friend's daughters toenail.

Or, you can just let ds take care of it himself. I'm sure it doesn't bother him nearly as much as it bothers you. just let him play with it, and it will fall off. Then, clean and bandage it really well, to protect it. It'll be fine.

Oh, if it is hurting your ds, and if your dh does end up having to fix it, give ds some Tylenol about an hour beforehand, to take the edge off.

I would just grab it with a tissue and pull it off. If it can be lifted and lowered that easily, it's not *really* attached to anything but gunk and a little bit of cuticle. I've done this a few times, to my dd's fingernail, and my friend's daughters toenail.

Or, you can just let ds take care of it himself. I'm sure it doesn't bother him nearly as much as it bothers you. just let him play with it, and it will fall off. Then, clean and bandage it really well, to protect it. It'll be fine.

Oh, if it is hurting your ds, and if your dh does end up having to fix it, give ds some Tylenol about an hour beforehand, to take the edge off.

GAH!!! ACK! :svengo:

Dh was able to trim it back about halfway last night. The other half wasn't as flappable as the first.