Menu

bringing snacks to a movie theatre

I don't know of any law, but I bring candy for my dc. I have 4 and it can get expensive. We usually go to the convenient store before and they get some candy. It is difficult because you don't want to teach your kids to deceive, but I just tell that we should be good stewards of our money. I don't think that spending $4 on a box of candy that you can get for 88 cents at Walmart is good stewardship. If the theatre asked us to not bring it then we would not. For the mean time, we bring our own. That also allows us to buy popcorn and drinks at the theatre.

We rarely ever purchase movie theater food. The cost is outrageous. IMHO (and just my rationalization I guess) is that I am paying to see the movie, not to buy their overpriced food. Food that in almost ALL cases is not allowed to be eaten at home anyways. We will usually stop at Whole Foods and get some treats and bring them in.

As to the legality of it, I have no idea. I rarely see the "no outside food or drinks" sign anymore nor do I see them checking anyones bags. That is not to say the policy doesn't exist at movie theaters still, but probably just not "out there" due to the possibility of offending the customers.

I don't think there is a law against it, but it certainly is against most theaters' policies. (At least the theaters I've been to.)

If you choose to frequent a business, you should follow their rules. If you don't like their rules, don't use their business.

Since we've become small business owners, this has become a bit of a bee in my bonnet. :-\

If you choose to frequent a business, you should follow their rules. If you don't like their rules, don't use their business.

:-\

I agree. We just don't eat at the theater. We can all stand to go 2 hours without eating, and if someone is dying for a snack, we can have one after the movie.

I've recently allowed my son to choose to spend his own money that way. No way in a million years would he spend his hard earned money on overpriced popcorn when it's free at home!

At our local drive in, they play a spot on the screen before the movie about how little is actually made on the movie and the bulk of their income is in their concessions. We love our small town drive in and try and support the concessions as best we can. But I'm not against bringing something in, if I *know* there's no way on earth I'd pay their prices for that item. But again, I do try and support the concessions as best I can.

Keep in mind, this is not a big, expensive movie theater. At our drive it costs $10 for our family to get in. An actual theater would cost us about $30, which in that case, we wouldn't even be at the theater, much less buying popcorn or candy. :) So I don't know how big a role their concessions play in their income.