Menu

How do you secure a laminated map to a plaster wall?

The Hive was so wonderful when I needed to hang a map in our last home, that I thought I would ask for help again...

Best recommendation I received last time was to staple the map to the wall - unfortunately, the plaster walls in this house keep rejecting the staples...

Please keep in mind that we are renting this house - so I'd prefer to minimize the potential damage to the walls.

Thanks!

3M Command poster strips. They are the best! They adhere very well and come off easily with no mess.

This is good, but I have actually ended up scarring the wall when the remove strip didn't pull out correctly, or when *someone* (who shall remain nameless but on the board is referred to as DH) pulls the "remove" strip in the wrong direction. :glare: Grrr.

You might also try Scotch brand "Poster Tape." Removes easily (you don't have to pull it off in a certain direction), and leaves behind no greasy spot or stain of any kind (like the poster putty can). The only drawback is that you might have to replace the tape after a few months; it seems to have about a 6-month life span and then it stops sticking as well and you need to put on new tape strips.

Really, each method has a potential drawback. Thumbtacks can leave holes (although often small enough to be unnoticeable), putty often leaves grease marks, poster tape usually has to be replaced every few months, and command strips can tear off a small chunk of plaster if someone removes them incorrectly.