Menu

Teaching 2 kids - close in age?

annabanana1992

I have one DD and one DS that are 19 months apart. I will be homeschooling both next year (DS has been in school). I will be able to teach them both the same history, science, Bible, and spelling. Math (Singapore), Grammar (FLL), WWE, and reading will need to be taught separately. My question is.... do you have suggestions on the best way to teach them separately in these subjects. In other words, since all of the subjects are teacher-intensive, what should I have one child doing while I am doing Math, FLL, and WWE with the other? I don't see a lot of independent work options at this age. This is all new to me, so all of you who teach 5 or 6 kids at a time - please don't laugh!

Thanks!

Since I don't know if your kids are young elementary or older, I'll give you some general ideas. My oldest 3 girls are each 19 months apart (the oldest is 8). Here are a few things I find helpful:

* Teach math to youngest child while oldest child does math fact sheets, flash cards, math game, etc. Then while youngest works alone on new math, you can teach math to oldest. When youngest is done he/she can play until you're ready for the next subject.

* Have independent work (e.g. handwriting, copywork, reading) or learning games (my kids love to play with a bin of shapes to construct designs) ready to go so the child you are not teaching can do something constructive. I have a list of independent work ideas so the kids can get ideas.

* Teach subjects together as much as possible, I'm postponing starting Latin so at least 2 of my kids can learn it together.

* Have a stack of good books ready for a child to browse. Even a non-reader can enjoy a lovely picture book for 10-20 minutes. Or use headphones and let a child listen to an audio book while you teach another child. Headphones are a big treat in our house :)

I bet you'll find this age span lovely to teach together. All the best to you!

My big kids are 21 months between the first two and then 16 months between 2nd and 3rd. And right now I have an 11, 2 9's and a 6, only one of which is mine. We always did/do science, language arts and history/geography together. Math they did at their own level although those levels would overlap or go back and forth at various times. Go over the lesson with one and start them on the problems and move to the next ones lesson. It depends on how much time you want to spend on school. There's no reason one can't be taking a break or reading a book while you work with the other one unless you want everyone done together and in the same place. Mine would study a spelling list or finish an art project or writing assignment and we would kind of work round robin around the table. It helps to have a list or chart of some kind and have the subjects arranged so not everyone is doing something that requires your help at the same time. We also have maze books, logic puzzles, hidden picture searches and such to keep them busy when you have to focus on the other one.

Just go ahead and start, keep asking questions and tweeking it as you go - you will be fine and no one will laugh, we have all been there.

Edited by jcooperetc

Mostly all my kids are less then a year apart. Your 4th grader you could block 1hr 1st thing in the morning and teach him all the subjects that need to be explained while the younger one can be reading or writing or whatever you choose. Then he should do mostly the rest of his work by himself unless he has ?s. Then you can work with the younger one. or I would combine science and history. You can do spelling english and math at the same time but teach each one seperate.Reading. Ihave one kid read while I'm waiting on the other to finish so we can move on to the next subject. Or after school or dinner or before bed.

I once believed that I could teach my dds together but their abilities are too far apart. Some ideas:

You can use something like Sonlight or TOG or Lapbook or Unit Studies or develop your own program to teach:

history (read a book aloud and discuss together)

literature (read a book aloud and discuss together)

geography (talk about and look up where the book took place)

composition (write about the book that you read together but each child writes at their own level)

reading (have each child read a book at their own level on the topic that you are currently studying)

grammar (study the same concepts at the same time)

Science ( study the same topic or read a book and do experiments together)

But math, you usually have to teach each child independently. What you can do is do math first, start with the oldest, explain/teach the lessons and have them work on their lesson while you teach the youngest and give plenty of time for everyone to finish up before starting the other subjects you decide to teach.

I hope you find a nice flow and understand that things will change as they always do in homeschooling.:001_smile:

My boys are 19 months apart and are in 2nd and 3rd.

We have a similar list of together and separate subjects.

They each have chart with the things they have to do this week. We all sit down at the table and they just start picking subjects, we don't have any order to how subjects must be done. So at first they usually pick "easy" things that work just fine with me there helping both of them.

When we get to that point that I am really needed for intensive work with one and the other needs me too- then I send one off to do something else. Usually to go play with one of the babies (the 2yo or 5mo) or to go run around the house or ride thier bike down the street several times, but sometimes to read or do chores. Occasionally I have one of them teach the other.

Your boys are old enough this should work itself out. WWE has some days that are relatively independant- it will only take you for a minute or two, and even singapore might work just fine with only a small amount of help from you at the beginning.

Good Luck, some of this you just can't plan for until you jump in!

Hi,

I have two that are very close in age. They are twins. I learned pretty quickly that the same age does not mean the same level. The girls work a grade level apart in math, English, and reading. We use CLE for those subjects, and they can do the "We Remember" sections on their own. So, typically one will start that while I work with the other on the new material and then they switch. They also do have some things they can do on the computer such as math facts training, multiplication games and ETC on-line for the one who struggles with reading.

Jennie

There are several things I do.

1) I had to use less teacher-intensive materials for some things. For us, that meant Time4Learning for math and LA. There are other computer based curricula out there that you could use for one or two subjects.

2) My kids do well with a break and snack. You can assign them different times for a break in order to have one-on-one time with each.

3) Have a time of silent reading.

4) Some subjects may have you teaching part of the lesson, with the rest being a worksheet or some other kind of independent work. That makes it easy to rotate between 2 children - teach 1, then have him do independent work while you teach the other.

Blessings,

Laura

I probably don't have anything new to add, but my children are 16 months apart and have always done every subject together except math. While I'm teaching a math lesson, the other child has independent work to do. This includes things like math drill, handwriting, reading, typing, household chores, piano practice, logic worksheets - basically, anything they can do without me. Then we switch off. I've tried not to give them "busywork" - tried to make their independent work meaningful - but I do need them to have some things they can do on their own.

You might find, incidentally, that you can combine your children in grammar pretty easily. Grammar tends to be a pretty repetitive subject from year to year, and your older will probably be just fine doing grammar a year behind - or the younger a year ahead, if that seems like the better fit.

Good luck finding a schedule that works for you. I love homeschooling my closely-spaced kiddos!

SBP