Menu

Preparing food some family members don't like.

Now, obviously, kids (and adults) should be encouraged to try new foods and be polite about ones they don't like. And I know some people are stricter than we are in requiring their kids to eat everything served. This post isn't about that issue.

My question is, if there's a food only SOME family members like, and other family members dislike it, how often do you make it? My dh is not terribly picky, except that he hates onions and bell peppers (which ds and I love). I don't like beans, but dh and ds do. I'm not a huge seafood fan overall, but dh and ds (especially dh) love it.

I'm just wondering, if you're the cook, how often do you make something you know some members of the family flat-out don't like? How often do you make something THEY like, but you don't?

This week, I made these yummy sweet potato frites from Trader Joe's. Oh, my! I could have eaten them all myself, they were so good! But dh and ds HATED them. Last night, though, I made mahi mahi, which dh loved, and I didn't really like.

Just thought I'd bring up a (hopefully) non-controversial topic for us to chat about.

Wendi

Hi, Wendi,

If possible, I'll cook the onions and peppers and have them available on the side. For example, tomorrow we are having quesadillas. Most of the boys don't like onions and peppers, but dh, my parents, and I do. So, I make them, but put them in a separate bowl to be taken by those who want them on their meal.

As for beans, you could do something similar...make beans a part of the meal rather than the entire meal so that no one would starve if he didn't eat them. Even the fish could be done this way...buy a smaller amount of fish for those who are eating it, and buy a smaller portion of whatever it is you plan to eat (hint: get something that can be cooked the same way as the fish so you don't end up cooking two entirely separate meals).

Ria

I suppose I tend to make foods that I like more often than not! But then I'm not super picky. The foods that dh likes and I don't are specialty Filipino foods and I figure my MIL can supply those for him.

For the rest of the family - dh is allergic to certain foods so we only serve those if he is out of town or at lunchtime when he is at work.

For the kids - I might fix a side dish that they don't like but since it is a side - there is always enough other choices on the table that they get a good meal.

I've been known to cook a dish and put some of it aside before adding a extra spice if one person can't handle the spiciness. That way I can accommodate both tastes.

Now, obviously, kids (and adults) should be encouraged to try new foods and be polite about ones they don't like. And I know some people are stricter than we are in requiring their kids to eat everything served. This post isn't about that issue.

My question is, if there's a food only SOME family members like, and other family members dislike it, how often do you make it? My dh is not terribly picky, except that he hates onions and bell peppers (which ds and I love). I don't like beans, but dh and ds do. I'm not a huge seafood fan overall, but dh and ds (especially dh) love it.

I'm just wondering, if you're the cook, how often do you make something you know some members of the family flat-out don't like? How often do you make something THEY like, but you don't?

This week, I made these yummy sweet potato frites from Trader Joe's. Oh, my! I could have eaten them all myself, they were so good! But dh and ds HATED them. Last night, though, I made mahi mahi, which dh loved, and I didn't really like.

Just thought I'd bring up a (hopefully) non-controversial topic for us to chat about.

Wendi

I'll make stuff one of them doesn't particularly love, but that I like. I'll also make things that I don't like, but they do. However, I won't make any of those things very often.

If it's something that someone REALLY detests, either I'll separate it from the dish or not make them try any.

Examples: ds gags on lima beans, but I love them. So, if I make them, he doesn't have to eat them. Mushrooms make dh want to hurl, so if I really, really want some, I'll cook some up separately (ds will want some, too). My stomach positively rebels at the taste of chicken, so if I make chicken it's usually something well seasoned so it doesn't taste like chicken much anymore. Sometimes, though, I will roast a whole chicken and just force myself to choke down a few bits.

I pretty much stick with what dh will eat. I make it adaptable by leaving things on the side or leaving them big enough for him to pick out (he doesn't like onions or peppers or many vegetables.)

If I know there is one side that a child doesn't like, I'll make another side that everyone eats.

If someone had a favorite that the rest of the family didn't like, I would either make it in a smaller portion or reserve it for special occasions like a birthday dinner.

My kids will always eat plain pasta, tortillas, cheese & fruit, so I can usually adapt a meal appropriately, without cooking a completely separate meal (ie...give them cheese and tortillas instead of taco soup or leave the sauce off of the noddles.)

I'll make stuff one of them doesn't particularly love, but that I like. I'll also make things that I don't like, but they do. However, I won't make any of those things very often.

If it's something that someone REALLY detests, either I'll separate it from the dish or not make them try any.

Examples: ds gags on lima beans, but I love them. So, if I make them, he doesn't have to eat them. Mushrooms make dh want to hurl, so if I really, really want some, I'll cook some up separately (ds will want some, too). My stomach positively rebels at the taste of chicken, so if I make chicken it's usually something well seasoned so it doesn't taste like chicken much anymore. Sometimes, though, I will roast a whole chicken and just force myself to choke down a few bits.

This is similar to what I do. I like most of the things I make, but I will occasionally make things that I don't like that others do. But everyone is allowed their own personal "Do not eat" list - short, only one or two things that they cannot stand and will not be forced to eat. So, for example, I will keep red peppers out of part of the meal, or make sure they are big enough pieces that they can be picked out. (And no grapefruit will ever enter my house, as that's my personal do not eat item.)

Between my husband and myself, we're extremely flexible eaters. There are a few things that each of us are not big on but we eat them when served. I have enough variety in my menus that they don't come up all that often but I do cook them occasionally.

I have one child who is a picky eater. It drives me to distraction but I absolutely refuse to cater to him- as in cooking a separate meal. I serve what I serve and if he doesn't eat it, it's his problem. Now, when there is something I know from prior experience really doesn't go over well, I try to pair it with other dishes that I know are liked so that he can find something from the meal to eat.

Guest janainaz

I try to make stuff they all like, but then we'd be eating cocoa-pebbles every night for dinner.

I gave up trying to be one of those moms where all the family is jumping for joy at how great dinner is going to be! Everyone has a problem with something ..............and I ignore them all! :D

To be honest, this kind of stuff really beats me down and discourages me. I'm dealing with many food allergies in our house -- gluten, dairy, nuts and fish. Take all that away and you are basically left with a meat, vegetable and a starch for dinners.

On top of that, both of my kids have decided they hate onions and they just prefer very plain meals. If I make my mother's delicious spaghetti sauce recipe, my kids know better than to complain, but they will just pick around the edges of their food. If I take a plain jar of marinara and brown some meat in it, they wolf it down. I do not have a lot of snack options for my son, so he needs to eat his meals and it is just a real downer to spend time preparing a meal and then feel like no one enjoys it.

In the end, I've just decided to make blander meals. My husband is going to dump half a bottle of hot sauce, worsteshire, or something on whatever I make anyway and my kids are happier with their meals. I'm not satisfied, but I guess it will make it really easy to watch my weight.:001_smile:

So, in answer to your question, I wind up eliminating foods that some family members don't like except maybe on a very rare occasion. I'm sure that's not how many people would handle it, but the food allergy thing just pushes me in that direction.

Lisa