Menu

character education in curriculum

If this belongs on the curriculum board then by all means move it.

As most of you who've been chatting with me know I'm working on a language arts curriculum, I've come to a bit of a sticky wicket.

The story collection I'm using quotes the Bible and I want to include the verses. I'm wondering if it would be a good thing to take the basic character trait from the verse or story, and build it up so that parents that are seeking a secular route in their child's studies will still get something out of it.

Do you think this is a good thing or would it turn you off from buying it?

Heidi

Are you asking religious HSers only? From my perspective as a secular HSer, the more Bible verses in something, the less likely I am to buy. I don't mind a few, but if they were incorporated into each unit/lesson/trait discussion, I would probably find something more suitable to my style of HSing.

HTH!

The verse that goes with first story comes to mind. I didn't find this verse, the author put it there. Some stories have poems listed at the beginning that, I believe, illustrate the point of the story. I'll probably find a verse to go with it for those who prefer that.

But the character trait would be underneath that with an explanation of the trait and how to remember to be patient, for example. So for secular parents it would be an explanation that might be an example from real life or drawn from the story.

I'm still working out the kinks but I hope that makes more sense.

Heidi