Menu

Need help for my ds remembering area vs. perimeter

teamturner

Someone please help me help my ds remember what is the area and the perimeter. I've told him to think of the area like an area rug. Math-U-See calls it the "squarea" and I called the rug our "spuarea rug". And the perimeter is like a fence around something. Maybe he just needs more practice. He'll remember it for a while but he always forgets after a while. What have you done to help you dc remember these two math facts??? He's also my child who forgets the conversion facts between pints/gallon, tsp/tbsp, etc. We now have Gallon Man on the wall so I'm hoping that will eventually sink in as well.

Thanks!

I posted the formula on the white board. A=L x W and P=L+L+W+W That stayed on the board for over a year. Eventually, dd didn't have to look at it to know what operations to use.

MUS workbooks always say to find the area and find the perimeter so she knew which formula to use to find each answer.

Now if your ds doesn't know what are is use the blocks. Make a square or rectangle out of all the same color blocks and show him that the area is this blue part. Then outline the blue blocks with the next color, and explain that the perimeter is the area around the blue.

Play a game outside. You tell him to run the perimeter, and he runs it. Then you holler, run the area, and all the kids run all over the yard, covering as much area as they can.

Switch it up and make 'em go back and forth between the perimeter and the area. They'll love it.

HTH

Kimberly

We started supplementing MUS after Epsilon with Singapore's Challenging Word Problems. Oh my gosh! They had a whole section on area and perimeter. They would give the student parts of one and make them figure out the other. Before this, I hadn't realized just how much my ds didn't know the difference. MUS works with one, then the other, but doesn't mix them up much.

I wish I had supplemented with CWP earlier. CWP 3 is the first book that has perimeter and area. IMO, it's best to supplement with CWP a year behind MUS.

I wish I had supplemented with CWP earlier. CWP 3 is the first book that has perimeter and area. IMO, it's best to supplement with CWP a year behind MUS.

Thanks Sue for that recommendation. We use MUS and started supplementing w/CWP a year behind last year, but we're only just starting book 2. Since MUS has such a diff. scope and sequence it's *challenging* to use it. I had to skip division in book 1 altogether and will just have to find what topically fits in book 2. Thanks for telling me what is in book 3. I guess I'll have to get that one now and use the parts of it that apply to where we are in MUS.

Thanks Sue for that recommendation. We use MUS and started supplementing w/CWP a year behind last year, but we're only just starting book 2. Since MUS has such a diff. scope and sequence it's *challenging* to use it. I had to skip division in book 1 altogether and will just have to find what topically fits in book 2. Thanks for telling me what is in book 3. I guess I'll have to get that one now and use the parts of it that apply to where we are in MUS.

Yes, I had to skip some sections and return to them after they were covered in MUS. CWP are well worth the price.

• 1 month later...