Menu

lost tools of writing

Kimber

I am trying to understand this program, but I am totally confused. What age or grade level is this for? How many levels are there? I only found one on the website, but I see multiple levels referred to in my google searches.

I'd appreciate the help. I'm sill looking at programs.

Thanks,

Kimberly

Can you tell me how this works or lead me to a link? I'm trying to understand what a lesson would look like. From the demo I found, it looks fantastic.

When a child finished the level, what skills will he or she have?

Thanks Karen

And is there an estimate on when level 2 will be ready?

Can you tell me how this works or lead me to a link? I'm trying to understand what a lesson would look like. From the demo I found, it looks fantastic.

When a child finished the level, what skills will he or she have?

The faq would probably be helpful to read and Andrew Kern or Leah (who also posts here) or Camille usually answer posts on the Circe forum pretty quickly.

From the forum I've found a post where Mr. Kern states students will cover Refutation or Confirmation, Commonplace, Praise or Blame, Comparison, Description and Argument of the progymnasmata in level 1 of LTOW.

And is there an estimate on when level 2 will be ready?

I thought it was supposed to be ready last fall, as far as I know it's not. Hopefully Leah will stop by here. :001_smile:

Thanks Karen,

I followed your links and went right to what I was looking for. I became confused because the information from my google searches didn't line up with the website. But your post and the forums helped tremendously.

Thanks alot,

Kimberly

Here is what I recommended. Our co-op may use Writing Tales 2 for grade 4, but I had to make recommendations for students that having not really had any formal writing during elementary. They might go with something other than WT, though. I'm not really in the elementary dept. so I don't know which direction they're leaning.

Also, I tried to introduce Classical Writing and it was too intimidating. I don't know enough about LToW to recommend it. I may buy it next year and try it at home.

So I was left mainly with IEW. Many of our teachers own the program already, so the cost isn't much of a factor nor is the learning curve. The big thing is that I recommended that writing paragraphs be taught in grade 5 but not required across the curriculum until grade6. In grade 6, they'll be expected to know how to write one paragraph papers for history and science, but in their literature class they'll be writing 3 paragraph papers. In grade 7, 3 paragraph papers will be required across the curriculum, but they'll be learning 5 paragraph essay format in literature.

High school is set because they're matching state requirements. And elementary is out my area. For elementary, I hope we use FLL for grades 1 and 2 and then Writing Tales for 3 and 4.

But here is my recommendation,

Grade 4

Goal: Introduce grammar and have students able to write in complete sentences.

Writing: Need to know the fundamentals of writing a complete sentence.

Grammar: Begin Growing with Grammar 4,

Grade 5

Goal: Outlining a paragraph is the most important goal for this age.

Recommendation:

Writing: Wordsmith Apprentice or Writing Strands 4 (* Note)

Grammar: Growing with Grammar 5

Cross Curriculum: Assign students homework to write in complete sentences in

history and science, not short answers or fill in the blank. Assign simple outlining exercises

alternating weeks in these two classes.

Grade 6

Goal: Practice writing 1-paragraph papers in each class and learn to write 3 paragraph papers in their writing class.

Recommendations:

Writing: SWI B teaches up through the 3 Paragraph paper

Grammar: Taught with Growing with Grammar 6

Cross Curriculum: Assign paragraphs in history and science that don’t have to be graded by the teachers. EX: A paragraph of interesting facts about the culture of Russia or the metamorphosis of a caterpillar to a butterfly. Continue outlining sections of their assigned reading as method to note taking, as well as writing skills.

Grade 7

Goal: Practice writing 3paragraph papers in history and science and learn to write 5 paragraph papers in writing class.

Recommendation:

Writing: SWI C, or SICC which continues where SWI B left off. Teach up through the super

essay. Assign The Lively Art of Writing as mandatory reading.

Grammar: Taught with Growing with Grammar 7

Cross Curriculum: Assign outlining in science and history to help with studying. Assign

3 paragraph papers in history and science.

Grade 8

Goals: Begin writing small research papers, writing thesis states, quoting, and citations.

Recommendation:

Writing: Student’s should begin working on research. SWI C taught the super essay for

research, now it’s time to write term papers which are simply 2 or more 5 paragraph essays linked

together. Also need, Jensen’s Format Writing, only the unit on teaching the research paper and

citations and all that stuff. IEW doesn’t teach that in SWI C, I don’t think.

Grammar: Growing with Grammar 8 (last year of grammar instruction)

Cross Curriculum: Research or Term papers, one in science, one in history, and one in Starting

Points. Include citations and quoting. Assign 6 smaller papers, like 1-3 pages each.

No citations needed during grade 8, except in class teaching the material. Use Starting Points to teach the citation aspect.

In Grade 9 begin requiring formal research papers with references and citations. Maybe 1 in each class.

I tried to recommend the least expensive material to acquire the skills needed. IEW’s strength is in how it teaches students to structure their ideas.

For students interested in Creative Writing, a creative writing elective should be taught for 5 and 6th combined and for 7th and 8th combined and then one for highschool students, or whatever would meet the student body needs.

*Note: Wordsmith Apprentice is way easier than Writing Strands 4. If students are coming from a program like Writing Tales 2, then they would be better served by using Writing Strands. But for students who haven’t used a rigorous program like Writing Tales 2, then Wordsmith Apprentice is the better choice to help them bridge the gap and get them writing in well constructed sentences and paragraphs by the end of the year.

Btw, OhE, I already recommended that Paragraph Writing Made Easy for my daughters 5th grade class this year. This decided to introduce IEW methods instead. That's fine with me, because they mesh well.

Edited by Kimber

Wow Kimber, you've done a really fabulous job of charting out a progression of the skills!! Why didn't I ever think to outline it that way! And clearly, if I had read through the rest of the chapters in WTM (which I haven't yet, just to 5th) or finished my Writing Without Fear cd (which I haven't, it's gone, oops), then I'd see this bigger picture too. This is really cool, because one of the things that has been haunting me is this thought that we aren't doing "enough", that we ought to be pushing harder for more accomplishment at an earlier age. But when you see there's a progression, you can pace yourself. Yup, that's a great idea to write it all out like that. What a valuable thing you've done, and thanks for sharing!

Yes, I looked at the Paragraph Writing Made Easy book online, and it does seem well done. I have Wordsmith Apprentice that I started with dd. We're about what, maybe 1/2 way through, but she's sort of stalled out. It was a combo of maturity and not wanting to think up things to say. She needs more guidance with it than I want to give (it is meant to be independent), but she's not mature enough or something to just kick out good work. She likes it, but I'm not happy with how she's doing it. So I have to go to something I can teach her. I have CW Homer, so I think we'll do that for the first 9 models, then we'll get back on the bandwagon with some outlining and paragraphing or else poetry. I don't know. As long as we're doing SOMETHING, I think it's ok. I have some of the WS books. I'll have to see if I have WS4. The lower levels sort of mystify me. Oh, and it sounds like your co-op is going to have a very solid progression. Good job! :)

Thanks Elizabeth,

As you can tell, this definitely has some influence of SWB in it. I have listened to her WWF Cd and I own TWTM 2nd edition. But I have to give credit to the rest as well. There is definitely some Andrew Pudewa in here as well as some influence from Jensen's Format Writing and the Lively Art of Writing.

I am really interested in the LToW also. And from hanging on his boards yesterday, I think he addresses one of the things that I see is missing in CW, and that is the invention aspect of it. (I could be wrong. I'm still researching.)

What I tried to do was not to capture one person's plan, but the natural progression of writing when students have to come up with their own material rather than a re-write. This is a lot easier to do for non-fiction than for fiction writing. I think with non-fiction, the progression is just natural.