Menu

*I* have to re-learn algebra and up. Need recommendations, please.

I went up through trig in college, but I don't remember any of it. Nada, zilch, zip.

I understand everyone here really likes the older Dolciani books, but I don't have time to search for them. I need to start now, as DS is half-way done with pre-algebra.

I don't have time in my day to use a video program. I would prefer a text that gives good explanations, and something that comes with a teacher's guide and answer key.

My DH is an engineer, so if I have a question, he'll be able to help me. That's much quicker than a video.

I had to call him today to ask a question, and was that ever humbling.

Any suggestions?

Thanks. I think I will go with Lial's. If I chose to do something on the computer, I'd never get it done because of lack of self-discipline.

My DH got home from work right after I posted this (you guys sure answer fast!) and he also suggested Lial's.

So I'm looking at Amazon, Alibris and eBay and I think I have a headache. Which one do I buy? Beginning Algebra? Introductory Algebra? College Algebra? Introductory and Intermediate Algebra?

Oy, I have a headache. I see myself spending some time online tonight not having fun, reading the boards, but looking at samples, hoping for the right book.

Would someone teach my child math for me and I'll teach English in return? :tongue_smilie:

I'll copy and paste some info I've saved from Jann in Tx. She recommends a certain version of Lial's, and I've listed the ISBN's for those below. If you want more info, search Lials on this board and read everything Jann has posted.

Intro Algebra (Albegra I):

The 7th edition DVTs (digital video tutors) are VERY HARD to find...but in this case the 8th edition dvt will work just fine. The solution manual edition, however, needs to match up with the book. You can get new (7th edition) texts for under $10 shipped, solutions manuals for around $5 and videos (for computer) for $35. Somtimes you can find 'bundles' for less.

There are only MINOR--very MINOR changes between editions. There is NOT a 9th edition of Introductory Algebra...the only difference between the current 8th and the 'just released' 10th is (besides the price) is the fact that the digital video tutors now have the instructor working out the in-text TEST answers/solutions.

7th edition Annotated Teacher's Edition ISBN 0321088697 (2001)

7th ed DVT 0-321-09203-1

7th Student Solution manual: ISBN-10: 0-321-09105-1

7th Softcover text: ISBN-10: 0-321-06458-5 ISBN-13: 978-0-321-06458-5I have both the 7th and 8th editions of Introductory Algebra--VERY VERY similar--and in some parts exactly the same problems.

Intermediate Algebra (Algebra II):

The 8th editions of the DVTs will work just fine with the 7th edition book. Usually under $50 for a set (with videos and solutions) for 7th edition. There are very few--VERY MINOR differences--many lessons are exactly the same--problems and all. For cost purposes the 7th is the real bargain--and can still be found 'new'. It is from 2001 so it is really not that old!

The DVTs for both of these editions are easy to find. The 8th edition is still current with the publisher--but VERY LITTLE other than the cover has changed from the 7th edition (I have both).

The 7th edition is the most economical. I just purchased a student text for less than $10 shipped --Priority! It was NEW.

8th edition isbn and link http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...7256917&sr=8-2

7th edition isbn and link http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...257035&sr=8-22The student solutions manuals can easily be found on amazon.com or similar sites. The DVTs can be found at www.ecampus.com

7th ed softcover: (October 17, 2001) ISBN-10: 0321064593 ISBN-13: 978-0321064592

7th Soln. man: (November 2001) ISBN-10: 032109204X ISBN-13: 978-0321092045

7th dvts ISBN10: 0321092139 ISBN13: 9780321092137

8th softcover text: ISBN-10: 0-321-27920-4 ISBN-13: 978-0-321-27920-0

8th DVT (July 30, 2005) ISBN-10: 0321285700 ISBN-13: 978-0321285706

8th Student solution manual: ISBN-10: 0-321-28569-7

DVTs are assigned an ISBN by the publisher but retailers DO NOT use it because they are NOT texts/books so searching for them can be a pain if you don't know the key words to use! Instead of searching under "DVT" search under the whole title "Digital Video Tutor". While Amazon.com will usually post them under publishing date--if you look at the actual sellers product description you can verify edition. www.ecampus.com has the older DVT editions. It is a PAIN to search their site but they are there. When searching by isbn for DVTs enter the ISBN under 'search all categories' instead of the default text search bar (click the search bar and then at next screen select 'search all' and enter number--took me a while to figure this one out. They have the DVTs for most of the older editions in this series!

Answers for the odd homework problems as well as ALL of the answers for the Chapter Reviews, Tests and Cumulative Reviews are in the back of the student text. You do not need the teacher edition, just the text and possibly the student solutions manual. All solutions are not included, but enough to be very useful.

Edited by Ms. Riding Hood
re-format

I'll copy and paste some info I've saved from Jann in Tx. She recommends a certain version of Lial's, and I've listed the ISBN's for those below. If you want more info, search Lials on this board and read everything Jann has posted. [/size

Thank you! I had just searched "Lial Algebra" and discovered my first Jann in Tx. post. You just saved me tons of time.

I appreciate all the help.

I just wish I didn't have to re-learn this.

Remember that line in Peggy Sue Gets Married:

Well, Mr Snelgrove, I happen to know that in the future I will not have the slightest use for algebra, and I speak from experience.

I keep thinking about that, wishing it were true. Ah, homeschooling--I almost got away with having that quote be my truth.

I went up through trig in college, but I don't remember any of it. Nada, zilch, zip.

I understand everyone here really likes the older Dolciani books, but I don't have time to search for them. I need to start now, as DS is half-way done with pre-algebra.

I don't have time in my day to use a video program. I would prefer a text that gives good explanations, and something that comes with a teacher's guide and answer key.

My DH is an engineer, so if I have a question, he'll be able to help me. That's much quicker than a video.

I had to call him today to ask a question, and was that ever humbling.

Any suggestions?

When we have math questions we use the site below. All you do is type in any math problem-sometimes it's easier to figure out how to do something when you work from the answer to the beginning of the problem.

God bless-math rocks! http://www.mathway.com/

Edited by CherylG

....to refreshed and bring back the information. You have received a lot of info, but I did not see this book offered as another choice. Sounds like you have a sense of urgency and if you can find the book right away it would be better. Check the library for this one and if you like it can be found in any major bookstores, even Target.

The book is "Algebra DeMystified, A Self-Teaching Guide by Rhonda Huettenmueller and published by McGraw Hill.

Hope this helps.

....to refreshed and bring back the information. You have received a lot of info, but I did not see this book offered as another choice. Sounds like you have a sense of urgency and if you can find the book right away it would be better. Check the library for this one and if you like it can be found in any major bookstores, even Target.

The book is "Algebra DeMystified, A Self-Teaching Guide by Rhonda Huettenmueller and published by McGraw Hill.

Hope this helps.

You jogged my memory. I do believe I have that on my old computer. It was a free download from some site, I forget where. I'll have to go check. Thanks.