Menu

Trying again, what's the going percentage off retail for used homeschool materials?

You know, it all depends on the product. I think generally 50%, but there are other products where you can only reduce the price 30% and still sell.

When I need to sell materials, I do a search of the sale board to see what similar products are going for. I'll also check eBay's completed listings (although I find these boards to be a much better source of info...more homeschooling traffic here). Then I figure in shipping costs (I always include shipping in my price).

I wouldn't worry if your price is too high to start...if someone is really interested they'll make a counter-offer. If you get no interest, you can relist at a lower price.

Hope that helps...

Ria

If I have complete sets (teacher's manual and student book unwritten in) I usually price them at 75% of the new price including shipping. I only do this for items that are in demand. I haven't had much problem selling things for this price.

If I have just teacher's manuals or books that are in less demand I will start and 50% and go down from there.

I sell expensive 'in demand' and like new items (tight binding, no creases, no writing, no marks of any kind-literally new looking) for 25% of retail at Rainbow or another cheap retailer. This would be Saxon elementary sets with the workbooks, full sets of programs that include literature, Teaching Textbooks, etc.

I sell common items, or items that look lightly used, or that are missing a part (Teacher's book but no workbook) for 50% off retail.

I sell good condition, but used misc books for 75% off.

I always ship post paid so my profit is actually less than these numbers.

I won't sell anything that I don't make $5-10 on, so sometimes I will combine items to make up a 'lot' so I can increase profits to $10. If I can't, I just give it away. It isn't worth the gas or time to sell otherwise.

I sell expensive 'in demand' and like new items (tight binding, no creases, no writing, no marks of any kind-literally new looking) for 25% of retail at Rainbow or another cheap retailer. This would be Saxon elementary sets with the workbooks, full sets of programs that include literature, Teaching Textbooks, etc.

I sell common items, or items that look lightly used, or that are missing a part (Teacher's book but no workbook) for 50% off retail.

I sell good condition, but used misc books for 75% off.

I always ship post paid so my profit is actually less than these numbers.

I won't sell anything that I don't make $5-10 on, so sometimes I will combine items to make up a 'lot' so I can increase profits to $10. If I can't, I just give it away. It isn't worth the gas or time to sell otherwise.

As a buyer, I think this sounds good.

But make it 70% and that has to be a complete set. Don't charge 70% of what WP charges new for AW, for example, and leave out the PG, or a workbook you used, or a book that you decided to keep. Subtract the cost of that/those items from the package price, then go 70-75%, even if all products are brand new. Just a pet peeve of mine that I come across while shopping. I won't buy used if I am not saving that much. I would rather pay 10% more and support curriculum writers.