Menu

Has anyone done a kindergarten graduation for a homeschooled child?

I know that's a public school practice. I was just wondering if anyone has done a graduation activity of any sort for kindergarten.

We're getting near the end of dd5's first year. My mother is asking because our family has made a big deal when my nieces and nephews graduated from kinder in private school.

I think she wants to acknowledge our homeschool the same.

Awww...what a sweet mom you have! We never did anything like this, but then again, I left it up to my kids to do their own graduation (from high school) party, lol.

I think a nice little acknowledgement ceremony (complete with cake!) would be great.

Ria

And I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be lovely to have the family over for an afternoon, have some cake and commemorate your daughter's "first year." Could you perhaps put out some of her projects or her portfolio for the year to let people see what she's accomplished? It doesn't have to be a "graduation ceremony," but just a day to let her family congratulate her on a good year.

We didn't do anything like this, mostly because I don't think my kids had ever heard of a kindgergarten graduation. And we're not close to any extended family. We do have a "tradition," though (in that we did it for both kids) of baking a cake and having a special dinner when they finished they first "real" chapter book. And I think I wrote elsewhere about our church's tradition of recognizing new readers in a service at the beginning of their first grade year. I think it's nice to acknowledge milestones.

I agree w/ Chris [like Mr. Incredible's quote, lol], but we too did a K grad ceremony...well, ok, it was more of an ANY grade grad ceremony, and even K'ers were included.

I printed up diplomas, and each family came up on stage. The parents awarded the diplomas, said whatever they wanted, and we moved to cake n punch. we haven't done that in a long time tho.

But if it's just one K'er, then sure -- do it anyway. Shoot, any excuse to have a party works for me :D

I don't mean to criticize, I'm just stating my own opinion.

I love celebrating things--but graduations are, for me, really overdone. Here, kids graduate from preschool, K, 6th grade, and high school. Come on.

No, I'm with you. It's not something I would do "just because." But if there are other kids in the family who are having these celebrations, I would probably be willing to do something low-key for my own child. I wouldn't necessarily call it a "graduation," but I would have no problem coming up with a placeholder celebration so that my child could mark that milestone.

Are you part of a support group? Ours had a kindergarten graduation. It was very nice! It was held at a church and the kids performed a song. They had caps (no gowns) and even a ceremony where the kids handed their parents a flower.

I was wondering if our state organization did a K graduation. I only found a high school graduation on their site, so I guess not. (We don't belong to any other group.) I would have liked that!

I don't mean to criticize, I'm just stating my own opinion.

I love celebrating things--but graduations are, for me, really overdone. Here, kids graduate from preschool, K, 6th grade, and high school. Come on.

Still, mortar boards are awfully cute on kids that age! :D

:001_huh:

When I went to school with the Flinstone/Rubble children, we only had a K graduation and high school graduation. And for my high school graduation, my parents through themselves a party.

Yep, each of my girls had a Kindergarten graduation. Austin attended public school for K, but he had had a preschool graduation. It was my mom who really wanted to do it. I'm an only child, so my kids are her only grandchildren - we're all totally spoiled! She bought a cute little cap and gown (pink, of course), and we ordered a cake. Mom bought an mp3 of "Pomp and Circumstance" and the graduation girl got to do the graduation march. Mom got each of them a little charm bracelet and a toy. I printed off a diploma and spoke a bit about the things they did during that year.

It was really cute!

Here is my blog entry from Reece's graduation last summer, so you can see pics: http://niffercoo.blogspot.com/2008/06/reece-graduation-girl.html

No, I'm with you. It's not something I would do "just because." But if there are other kids in the family who are having these celebrations, I would probably be willing to do something low-key for my own child. I wouldn't necessarily call it a "graduation," but I would have no problem coming up with a placeholder celebration so that my child could mark that milestone.

Yes, this is why I think I will agree to do something. We really are so new to homeschooling, and it's so new to my family. I think it will sort of solidify things in our brains.

I don't know how to explain it, but since K involves so much play and everything, it hasn't "sunk in" for me yet.

I think it's slowly sinking in for my family because they have finally stopped saying things like "Just wait 'til she starts school." And they have stopped calling to chat during the day. They don't mean any harm, we just never new anything at all about homeschooling.

I already planned to get a K picture taken, because I absolutely adore toothless kindergarten pictures! They are my favorite.

Yep, each of my girls had a Kindergarten graduation. Austin attended public school for K, but he had had a preschool graduation. It was my mom who really wanted to do it. I'm an only child, so my kids are her only grandchildren - we're all totally spoiled! She bought a cute little cap and gown (pink, of course), and we ordered a cake. Mom bought an mp3 of "Pomp and Circumstance" and the graduation girl got to do the graduation march. Mom got each of them a little charm bracelet and a toy. I printed off a diploma and spoke a bit about the things they did during that year.

It was really cute!

Here is my blog entry from Reece's graduation last summer, so you can see pics: http://niffercoo.blogspot.com/2008/06/reece-graduation-girl.html

The pink cap and gown was great. I loved the cake!

Yes. I think something low-key. Come to think of it, we do everything low key.

She has two cousins a year or two older who are our standard guests, even at birthday parties. That's about it.

I'm so unimaginative. I need to get with the program.