Menu

car accident question

BMC

DS (17) hit the neighbor's car when he parked. This is the third time he has hit a car while parking. The first time, the neighbor-owner couldn't see the damage and DH was all upset that she needed body work and repainting.... Then the next time (not a neighbor) put in a claim to our insurance for loss of the use of the vehicle, body work, repainting the entire car (it was supposedly a custom paint job), two new headlamps... The insurance company took care of that - they insisted that they take the car to their approved shop and we never heard another word.

On Sunday, DS hit a different neighbor's car. It was late (about 10pm) so DH just put a note on the car. They haven't contacted us and I can't see any damage. DH is frantic. Just like last time, he is obsessing about damage no one else apparently sees. He wants to go over there and talk to them about it. I know that they got the note (I saw them reading it before they left the next morning) and I think the ball is in their court - why borrow trouble? If they can't see any damage, I say let it lie.

Opinions?

Oh and I told DS to FRONT in the parking spot, but of course DH insists that he BACK in parking spots. As you can tell, DS is not all that good at backing in.

DS (17) hit the neighbor's car when he parked. This is the third time he has hit a car while parking. The first time, the neighbor-owner couldn't see the damage and DH was all upset that she needed body work and repainting.... Then the next time (not a neighbor) put in a claim to our insurance for loss of the use of the vehicle, body work, repainting the entire car (it was supposedly a custom paint job), two new headlamps... The insurance company took care of that - they insisted that they take the car to their approved shop and we never heard another word.

On Sunday, DS hit a different neighbor's car. It was late (about 10pm) so DH just put a note on the car. They haven't contacted us and I can't see any damage. DH is frantic. Just like last time, he is obsessing about damage no one else apparently sees. He wants to go over there and talk to them about it. I know that they got the note (I saw them reading it before they left the next morning) and I think the ball is in their court - why borrow trouble? If they can't see any damage, I say let it lie.

Opinions?

Oh and I told DS to FRONT in the parking spot, but of course DH insists that he BACK in parking spots. As you can tell, DS is not all that good at backing in.

I thought I never would be able to back up a car when I was learning. I practiced it so many times that I can back up into just about anything now.

Take ds to an empty parking lot. Use cones, straw bales, etc and rearrange the *parking spot* and have him back into it from all angles.

It's a practice thing.

If you saw them read the note, I'd think they contact you if they have anything to say.

I would take away my son's driving privilege for awhile if this has happened three times already. If he isn't seeing the parked cars well enough not to hit them, what if there were children or animals around. It is not worth the risk. I would probably go back to him being allowed to drive with a parent with him and not alone.

The reason I share this is my oldest son was in a car accident when he was 18 and we almost lost him. Through his accident we found out that people can be sue happy. Luckily he was 18 and had his old insurance or we would have lost everything. The gentleman he hit (who wasn't hurt) got a lawyer and tried to sue us. He would have been able to if my son was a minor and was covered under our insurance policy. We would have lost our home and everything. At the time my son didn't own anything of value so the lawsuit was dropped when they found out that they couldn't go after us. The lawyer tried since my son lived at home. Because of this our other two children are not allowed to get their license until they are 18 and can have their own policy.

Don't mean to sound like a meanie, but I didn't realize what could happen until we went through this.

I would definately not MAKE him back in to park. Young drivers have a hard enough time going forward. Quite honestly, if it's something that he feels nervous about and really isn't that experienced with he may continue to hit cars and eventually your insurance company may get tired of it and drop you or raise your rates.

If my DD backed into my driveway there is no doubt she would hit something. That's a risk I'm just not willing to take.

I think you should take this third strike as a hint that he needs more practice with backing up before he actually does it around automobiles. There is nothing wrong with pulling head on into a parking space.

He believes that you have to either back in to park or back out to leave. Both of these are backing up skills. He believes it is better to back in when you first get there because you just looked at where you are backing up at and you know that nothing is there. If you just hop in the car to leave and don't walk around the vehicle a child, pet or object could be behind you that you can't see with your mirrors and you could possibly damage. We knew somebody who's teenage child backed over and killed their toddler. The toddler was supposed to be in the house. Sad, sad situation.

Until I got my new van with a backup camera and sonar that warns me if I get close to any object, I was always worried about backing up. Before this van, I had an older Caravan, and you simply cannot see anything below the rear window. I was always at places where young kids were running around in the parking lot, and it made me crazy every time I had to back up.

I LOVE the backup camera in my new van.

Here is a quick link to one that you can add to any car:

Vehicle Back-up Camera

I don't know anything about them since mine came installed. See if you can find one with the sonar too! And night vision!

Head over to the neighbor's house with a face-to-face apology. It seems more genuine and if there is no damage, they will be able to tell you and eliminate any concerns.

Regarding DS, he needs to either find another place to park or skip driving privileges for awhile. I don't parallel park b/c I can't, nor do I care to ever learn. However, nobody expects me to do so. Maybe it's time to review DH's expectations for DS. I NEVER back my vehicle into a parking spot. That seems so, um, teenage boy to do so :) Seriously, I've only seen men and teen boys do that!! LOL

Good luck and hope it all goes well,

That seems so, um, teenage boy to do so :) Seriously, I've only seen men and teen boys do that!! LOL

LOL, I am a girl, and I back into parking spaces. There is no other way to get in a tight space. My dad used to drive semi trucks, and he taught me to park. I can tell you that I have seen my dad do things in a truck that I thought were not even possible, but he pulled it off every time. Amazing man! It just takes lots of practice and patience, and you have to keep doing it or you forget things.

I am thankful that Dad taught me to drive. I have helped people get their vehicles out of some interesting situations. I just HATE it when some man thinks I can't do it! GRRRRRRR LOL