Menu

Writing With Ease Question

Unicorn.

I imagine it depends on the level. My 1st grader is doing level 1 and my 3rd grader is doing level 2. In Level 1 there are 2 copywork days, one narration day, and one narration and copywork day. My 1st grader is a good writer, so 5-10 minutes per day is plenty. The reading selections are short, and she's only required to narrate one sentence afterwards. In level 2, there's one copywork day, one dictation day (later in the book, this changes to 2 dictation days), one narration, and one narration with dictation day. The copywork and dictation take her 5-10 minutes (she's my slower-working child, and she still has to think about how to form her cursive letters at times). The narration days take us 10-15 minutes. After she gives me her narration and I write it, I then read the samples ones from the book so she can compare them to her own. This often leads to a little discussion.

Like you say, a lot depends on the child. My 1st grader is a let's-get-it-done-and-go-play type kids. My 3rd grader loves to sit and talk about anything and will continue to do so until I point her towards her other work :)

I have no experience with levels 3 & 4 since those workbooks aren't out yet.

We are doubling up lessons in our home because we are using Level 1 with my 8yo. He does 2 daily lessons (1 copywork and 1 narration) in Level 1 each day and it takes approximately 15-20 minutes.

I emphasize diligence because it doesn't take long, encouraging good penmanship and neatness. Also, SWB prompts you to remind them about proper capitalization and punctuation, reinforcing the concepts from the grammar lessons in FLL. It is such a rich study in the language arts that is very thorough, but not time consuming.

We are doubling up lessons in our home because we are using Level 1 with my 8yo. He does 2 daily lessons (1 copywork and 1 narration) in Level 1 each day and it takes approximately 15-20 minutes.

I emphasize diligence because it doesn't take long, encouraging good penmanship and neatness. Also, SWB prompts you to remind them about proper capitalization and punctuation, reinforcing the concepts from the grammar lessons in FLL. It is such a rich study in the language arts that is very thorough, but not time consuming.

This is what I'm doing with my boys as well, and it takes about that long.

We are in level 2 and it rarely takes is more than 15-20 minutes. I often have to read the selection to her several times on narration days (she does the narration okay, but sometimes has trouble with the listening comprhension questions, so I read the passage to her again (part or whole, depending).

Its hard to judge time - since I don't schedule that way (I try to alternate things so there is not too much reading, or writing at one time).