Menu

Have you ever done the South Beach Diet...

it was easy and VERY healthy. If I ate the way the recommended all the time, I'd feel SO much better. If I remember right, they have you limit carbs. The other diet...... I can't remember it's name, is NO carbs and tons of meat and fat. SBD is lowfat and healthy. I found it easy to implement.

I think we really don't need many carbs, and I feel better when I limit them. SBD is a very realistic diet, as is Weight Watchers.

I progressed pretty well on it. There was a lot of cooking. In the first several days, I was very hungry, but not after that. However, since it is called the "South Beach" diet, as in South Florida, it is heavily reliant on salads and foods that I associate with warm weather. I tried it in January and I was freezing. I lasted 8 days on the phase one because I just wanted a good hearty soup to warm me up. I can only drink so much tea. I did progress to phase two earlier than planned, but I did lose 20 lbs in under 4 months on it (only to gain it back when I had to go on medication.) I just haven't been able to get back on the wagon - but I am looking to try again. If only they would come out with a healthy, low carb, snow-country diet:)

If only they would come out with a healthy, low carb, snow-country diet:)
Yeah, huh? I cook lots of frozen veggies in the winter. My dh and I use them in place of bread and mashed potatos and all. They are warm and most meats go great on top of them. It's easy to make lunch for dh too, just dump frozen veggies in a pot when I get up and steam them in a bit of water, drain em and let them sit in the sieve while I get my tea and breakfast, then dump them and the meat (usu. leftover) or veggie burger in a container (I might toss a drizzle of EVOO in with them or melt a small amount of coconut oil on them, the fat helps keep dh's hunger down thru the afternoon), add a few pieces of fruit and voila! a healthy lunch. Quick soups work the same way except I use broth to cook the veggies, then keep it all together. I remembered to get a cabbage the other day too as they keep much longer than lettuces usu. do and we eat coleslaws. Maybe you and I should get together and write "The North Beach Diet" book? - Jill

I followed it a few years ago and lost almost 30 pounds within three months or less, and I really felt good. I didn't follow many of the recipes in the book, but did follow what was allowed and not allowed during each phase.

I didn't struggle with the first two weeks being more strict, because I was determined to make it work, and I truly didn't feel like I was lacking anything. I've slipped from following the guidelines faithfully over the past couple years, but have made many changes in our family's eating because of it: whole grains, more veggies, etc.

I would recommend it to anyone -- it's not fad-ish and it's reasonable.

I've gone from size 16 to 12 using another diet (You Are What You Eat) and then South Beach Diet.

I stock up the right foods I need to be successful and eat whenever I'm hungry with the right foods.

Try Phase 1 but if you can't stick to it then stay on Phase 2 until you loose the weight.

I got all confused, because I could've sworn I answered this post about a week ago... aha, there was a thread with almost the exact same title, it may have helpful info for you.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75154&highlight=south+beach

However, since it is called the "South Beach" diet, as in South Florida, it is heavily reliant on salads and foods that I associate with warm weather. I tried it in January and I was freezing. I lasted 8 days on the phase one because I just wanted a good hearty soup to warm me up.

This is true of the original book, but there are several really wonderful cookbooks. This one specifically has a whole chapter on soups and stews - it is very possible to make wonderfully hearty "winter food" even on Phase 1 of this diet - in fact, a nice bean soup or beef stew is what got me through Phase 1 every time (if I ever gain back a few pounds, say, over Christmas, I do a couple of weeks of Phase 1 and I'm back on track). One of the keys - substitute turnips for potatoes - who knew they had virtually no carbs? They're right there on the Phase 1 list. I mostly just altered my own recipes rather than learning new ones. But if you need inspriation, here are some Phase 1 soup recipes from the cookbook:

Indian Tomato Soup

Peanut Butter Stew

Walnut Soup (has fennel, cauliflower and rouquefort cheese too)

Roasted Yellow Pepper Soup with Fava Beans and Tomatoes

White Bean Soup with Greens

Black and White Bean Soup

Black Bean Soup

Buttermilk Salmon Chowder (this is fab)

Vegetable Beef Soup

Don't forget Phase 1 is only two weeks long - the author actually discourages you from staying on that stricter phase more than that - it's pretty much just to detox you from sugar. After that, it's easy to avoid the simple carb snacks and Phase 2 is where you really lose the weight. I rarely actually lost any weight on Phase 1, strangely, but without it I can't maintain Phase 2. Lost 40 lbs, still off 2 1/2 years later.

Edited by matroyshka