Menu

Older child art project ideas? Websites?

Your local library will have heaps of art and craft type books with practical instruction on just about everything. Your local second hand shop will have all sorts of stuff too. Just be careful of the magazines. I inherited my grandmother's craft book collection and there are some truly frightening things in there. I have a cross stitch pattern for a cushion sized turnip and cauliflower. It boggles the mind that anyone, anywhere, would ever have wanted to make them. *shudder*

You could also get online and look at some of the historical recreation art and craft sites, there's all sorts of things. If you've never tried tablet weaving, I recommend this site: http://members.shaw.ca/evethejust/btablet.html I managed to follow her instructions even when I was suffering from severe preggie brain!

:)

Rosie

Ha ha. You need a craft stash! Seriously, it's amazing what useful (for something, some time) stuff you can find at garage sales, op shops and in your mother's back cupboard. The tablet weaving, for example, only requires a bit of scrap wood, some cardboard and thread of some kind.

:)

Rosie- who truly believes her ridiculous sized craft stash is good for her soul.

It depends on what your children are interested in.

Both of my girls are interested in Renaissance Fairs. This had led them to find resources on-line, in the library and at local craft shops to pursue interests in jewelry/chain-mail making, costuming and music (ocarina). The costuming interest led dd1 to study historically accurate clothing, anatomy, html and pixel art to create 'dolls' on-line.

They have also following 4H projects for photography and sewing and have entered items in the county fair.

I also totally agree with Rosie about the importance of a craft stash and a willingness to try things out.

I taught art to Kindergarten-6th graders. I will look through my lessons later today when I get a break. One of my favorite sites is artsonia..

www.artsonia.com

You can register yourself as a teacher. There are thousands of lesson plans and ideas from other teachers and schools. You can search by grade, artist, theme etc....

A great book is Discovering great artists.

http://www.amazon.com/Discovering-Great-Artists-Hands-Children/dp/0935607099/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232455377&sr=8-1

Lots of creative and hands on projects in a variety of themes.

Oh, my 5 & 6th graders LOVED making their stained glass mosaics. If you would like detailed directions on this PM me. I have a great lesson on it.

Someone else mentioned Princeton art lessons. I second them, they have a lot of neat lessons.

http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/

I have a lot more links and helps I will post later on. I have to get my kiddos up and moving for the day.

:001_smile: