Menu

Anyone Near the Nashville, TN area??

We are seriously considering a move to the Nashville area. The job that my hubby is considering is located on the northern side of the city. I would REALLY appreciate any opinions/suggestions/warnings/considerations you would share with me concerning a relocation to that area. Many thanks in advance!

Ginger

We live about an hour EAST of Nashville. I love it here! My kids have been in school since we moved here a year and a half ago, but we're about to start schooling them all at home again. I plan to use Nashville library, and I am excited about the resources available in our area.

We may just have to do a WTM-Nashville meet-up someday!

I am in a suburb of Nashville and have lived in or around the city for the last 20 years. I love it here! Are there any specific questions you might have? It is a pretty safe city. My husband and I feel perfectly safe running downtown during the day, we have wonderful parks, the Fisk Center for the Arts is wonderful, the music scene here is not ALL country (!), and we have a good home schooling community here. Anything you want to know? Christy

Oh ladies! Thanks for your encouraging replies! As far as more questions...if my dh were to be working on the middle-northern side of the city, would you be able to point me in a direction of really nice/pretty/affordable towns to look in? We would probably seek an apartment (a real adjustment but we can do it) to live in temporarily while we check out the areas a reasonable commute from his workplace. We currently live on 5 acres in the sticks, so is there anything like that out Nashville way? Thanks so much for the help you all have given me!

Ginger (who already has a Southern accent!)

Interstates 40, 24, and 65 all meet in Nashville and swirl around it. No part of Nashville or its suburbs are a difficult commute, compared to a lot of other cities. As far as affordable goes, there are counties surrounding Nashville (suburbs) that are more affordable than others. Williamson County is the least affordable but is very, very nice. :001_smile: I'm in Mt. Juliet and I think it is the best of both worlds where cost of living is concerned. We are a few minutes east of downtown. North, I guess, would include Goodlettesville (pretty affordable) and then Hendersonville (getting pretty darned expensive) but it all depends on what you consider a bad commute for your dh. The housing is getting cheaper here and the rental market is great.

I don't know where you are moving from and I haven't been back on the board long enough to know if you have any kids in school. The schools here vary, sort of like everywhere else. Do you have any kids in school? You don't happen to have any swimmers at your house, do you?:D

Hey< Sunshyne! I meant to include your quote in here and reply to your post but I didn't do it right. :)

Nashville has the BEST library system! Did you see that show Rachel Ray did where she ate in different cities for $40 a day a few years ago? She actually went to our library and ATE! The amazing library system made our homeschooling so much easier and I am still using the heck out of it.

That is so wonderful to hear about the library system. We still have 3 daughters at home, and our oldest is now married. I really appreciate knowing about the highway system. Where we currently live, there is ONE road north to the closest city (we live in SW VA) and it took dh over an hour to get to work, so anything less than that will be great. We will also look toward the east of the city since it sounds pretty easy to get where you need to go. I guess I am hoping for a little bit of country to live in instead of just congestion and urban sprawl. Nashville really sounds great and I am so excited! At this point we are holding our breath that he does indeed get this opportunity. He gets the final word this week and I am trying to get prepared. I really am excited and already have a few things packed...positive thinking! :D

Ginger (who has very studious and talented daughters, but no swimmers in the bunch)

Edited by Blueridge

We live JUST south of Nashville in Williamson County (actually part of Grtr. N'ville). We've been here almost 7 years and really love it! I'm not as familiar with north and east N'ville, but around here there is lots of green space. I can only repeat what others have said...it is a beautiful area and has lots of great "city" things to offer without being so big that it's cumbersome. Because of so many interstates intersecting it is pretty easy to navigate. The library system is great! Since we don't live in Metro Nashville (Davidson County) I pay $40 a year to have a library card and it is well worth it in my mind! The zoo is really nice, not huge, but a good variety and we love Adventure Science Center which has a new planetarium we haven't gotten to go to yet. It's supposed to be amazing! Please let me know if you have any more specific questions. I'll be happy to answer if I can.

Have a great day! Katie

Hey< Sunshyne! I meant to include your quote in here and reply to your post but I didn't do it right. :)

Nashville has the BEST library system! Did you see that show Rachel Ray did where she ate in different cities for $40 a day a few years ago? She actually went to our library and ATE! The amazing library system made our homeschooling so much easier and I am still using the heck out of it.

Christy,

This makes me so happy! Here in Cookeville, we have a pretty limited library, but I'm in Nashville at least every other other month (often more) for work purposes, and I think it would be great to be able to stop at the library! The boys will come with me, and so they'll love making a day of it. Have you tried the Adventure Science homeschool days yet? I was thinking of doing this soon.

~Sunshyne

Christy,

This makes me so happy! Here in Cookeville, we have a pretty limited library, but I'm in Nashville at least every other other month (often more) for work purposes, and I think it would be great to be able to stop at the library! The boys will come with me, and so they'll love making a day of it. Have you tried the Adventure Science homeschool days yet? I was thinking of doing this soon.

~Sunshyne

If you are in Cookeville then your closest library is Hermitage. You probably already know that, though. That one is the closest one to me, too. Do you know all about how you can request all your books online and request to pick them up in Hermitage? Very, very cool. We actually sent our kids to school this year and haven't been to the Adventure Science Museum in a long, long time but I remember it being wonderful. My oldest is a sophmore now and we sort of grew out of it. I love Cookeville! I just ate at a Fazoli's there on my way home from a swim meet in Knoxville yesterday. It is nice to "meet" you! We absolutely need a Nashville meet and greet sometime.

Ginger,

I've lived in Nashville for 18 years this month. My family lives just east of downtown Nashville in "East Nashville"(not an official town name....more like an area). We love Nashville for many of the reasons stated: no state income tax, easy access to urban areas or rural areas, great homeschooling groups, lots of music (definitely not all country), LOVE my church, etc. etc.

From those who have posted, I'm probably the closest one to the area you'd be looking at.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Change can be exciting! Praying for your family and the potential for a new opportunity.

Hey...I'm a bit late chiming in here, but I live in the same area as lovemywhirlygirls! We love East Nashville, and by East I mean about 5 minutes east of downtown (not 20 minute east, as in Hermitage or Mt. Juliet).

In terms of north of town, my sister lives in Hendersonville and really loves it. It's got quite a bit in the way of shopping, restaurants, etc. It's in Sumner Co., and her kids go to PS there. They are very pleased with the schools. It would be about 15-20 minutes north of town on a good traffic day. And then there's Gallatin a bit further on, but might be good if you want some land.

Let us know if you need more specific info. We'll do our best!

Jean,

I know I have seen places here and there, but I have no personal experience myself. I just googled "asian grocery stores, nashville" and about 10 places popped up immediately. There were also some links to reviews others have made in response to questions like yours. You might find something helpful there.

Keep us posted if you move this way. We'd love to welcome you to our area!

We lived in Hendersonville our first two years of marriage, and Austin was born there. Granted that was nearly 13 years ago, but it was very inexpensive (especially compared to living in Atlanta where we moved to) and the traffic wasn't very bad back then. I haven't been back for over a decade, though.

We really loved it, and I wish we hadn't left!

Can I hi-jack this thread just long enough to ask if there are Asian grocery stores in the Nashville area? We eat Asian food over 50% of the time so that is important to us.

Yes there are several. Here's a good one! http://www.yelp.com/biz/international-market-and-restaurant-nashville Bongo Jave is right across the street! Bongo Java is the home of the Nun Bun. Nuff said. http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2005-12-26-nun-bun_x.htm Dh and I do a weekly long run there and meet at Bongo Java for coffee after. Nice, nice area and nice, nice restaurants.

Ladies, you have no idea how encouraging this has been! Every response has been a positive one! My hubby has been researching all the things you have mentioned and he is ready to help me pack! Now as long as the company agrees...we'll be moving to Nashville soon. If not, then I may faint from disappointment. :svengo:Thanks and blessings for all your support!

Ginger (who may be full of more questions soon)

If you need information about areas south of Nville (Franklin, Murfreesboro, S.N'ville)...I can help you out there. Just moved from there after spending almost 8 years there...I miss it! If you have older kids...Jr. High and up...I can't point you to an incredible Tutorial. My dh use to teach there. It's for kids who are college bound and follows classical education somewhat.

Good Luck with your move!

We have quite a bit of family in the area and were just there last weekend. It is a fun, fun town! Half of them live between Harding Place and Woodmont Boulevard/Thompson Lane - two roads that roughly go east and west in the south/central part of the city - below 440 and west of I-65. It has wonderful character, great shopping, fun places to eat, and is close to downtown. My pick of the area! They all sent their kids to private or parochial schools, so no homeschool experiences to relate. I think would be a great place to homeschool with so much historical and cultural activites so close. Another family member lives in Brentwood (suburb south of town) and her husband commutes to Goodlettsville (north of town) - and he says it is not really a terrible ordeal.