Menu

Could the uptick you are feeling be in response to a change in attitudes towards applying to college? For example, as far as I know, most people didn't do SAT prep when I was taking them, or have much idea of how selective colleges did their selecting. Now people seem to take more interest in presenting themselves favourably. They seem to be taking more interest in figuring out what is wrong with their health and what should be done about it, too. I've only been paying attention to the high school board for the last 4 years, so I wouldn't know if things had changed over time. And at the beginning of that I think I just skipped all the then-inapplicable threads on college applications, transcripts, and testing.

-Nan, greeting the weekend with relief (colds and stomach bugs here this week)

I think that many of us operate with "due diligence" (as Beth put it). In many cases, this means that our kids are subjected to assessments which in my eyes are relatively joyless, AP exams and SAT-II tests. But if the admissions office of colleges to which your child is applying requires these tests, will you avoid them?

Parents "compete" on these boards? On the contrary, I find my fellow homeschooling parents here to be highly supportive of other parents and our children. I love the boasts of scholarships won! Many of our students have created rich and unique paths for themselves. I am amazed by the interests of these teens in languages, literature, science. Parents are often faced with the challenge of how to describe our students rather non-traditional studies on a traditional transcript. Do we quake? Do we quiver? No, we turn to our fellow boardies for advice since so many have BTDT!

except not as diligent with SAT-II tests and AP exams (we didn't do them). From my signature line, you all can tell I'm not homeschooling anymore (for various reasons described in other threads, although the initial impetus was dh's health problems last year). However, like Beth in SW WA said, this board was my "teacher's lounge" and support group for the two years that we did homeschool for high school (9th and 10th for my oldest). There is a real camaraderie on this board in particular that I miss! (I tend to go over to the General Boards more often now.)

There's no doubt that there is an increased level of intensity at this age in particular, because suddenly we are faced with the awesome responsibility of launching what used to be our "little people" into the big, wide world! But this board is a very welcoming place, and I did not find it competitive at all. I don't know what I would have done for the past two years without the wisdom on literature that I received from Janice in NJ, Beth, Janie, Kathleen, and others. I don't know how I would have lead my children through upper-level math, without the advice that I got from Jane, Jann in TX, LoriM, Myrtle, and others. How many grievous errors did I make in that area, and yet somehow all the hand-holding helped me out of some real dilemmas when it came to math! Sometimes I would go down blind alleys, and find advice here that helped bring me out of some of my self-induced mazes!

I'm thankful for the group here, because the intensity of homeschooling high school helped build camaraderie, and the camaraderie brought great wisdom, peace, and even relaxation. Two years ago I thought I had totally messed up my oldest with math for life! Now, at private school, she's getting an "A" in Algebra II, when two years ago it was a complete and utter disaster.

I believe that as those of you whose children are starting to reach 7th and 8th grade start visiting these high school boards, you will find that same fellowship that we have found. I don't think I could have made it through 9th and 10th grade with my oldest without that.

OK---now I feel like some lines from Henry V are stirring in my mind, so I'll just close with the thought here: "We band of brothers." :D

Jane, I shared a perception I have and I understand and it respect that it may not resonate with others. Just to clarify one point...

"Parents "compete" on these boards? On the contrary, I find my fellow homeschooling parents here to be highly supportive of other parents and our children.

Agreed! This is a supportive environment. I'm not alluding to people competing with one another here but in a more general sense.

Could the uptick you are feeling be in response to a change in attitudes towards applying to college?

Yes, that may well be. At the same time, though, I think some people forget that in the long run, a four-year degree is not the be-all, end-all, nor does the name of the school on the degree typically make a great deal of difference.

I've only been paying attention to the high school board for the last 4 years, so I wouldn't know if things had changed over time. And at the beginning of that I think I just skipped all the then-inapplicable threads on college applications, transcripts, and testing.

Well you definitely have much more familiarity with this board, and experience with high school, than I, that's for sure!:) It's true that just a year or two ago, I didn't notice some of the discussions that now catch my eye so of course my perception is skewed. It's good for me to be reminded of that.

Nan, greeting the weekend with relief (colds and stomach bugs here this week)

Hope everyone feels better soon, Nan.

I think we (some homeschoolers) can worry that we are doing our best and what we need to do. We can often face questions from well-meaning folks who wonder why we do this and whether we know what we're doing or how can we possibly know what we're doing.

Yes, I can see how those questions would be disconcerting. I've honestly never had anyone question me about homeschooling ~ for better or for worse. No one seems particularly interested.:tongue_smilie: Which isn't to say I don't question myself plenty ~ or get questions from my oldest, who quite frankly would rather be institutionalized (;)) for high school anyway.

I'm also an island of sorts as virtually no one I know in "real life" has pursued homeschooling high school. Almost every single one of my friends/acquaintances enrolled their child(ren) in high school, if not middle school, or relies so heavily on outside courses (and I plan to do that to an extent, too) that they really have no experience in homeschooling high school. So of course this board is a huge help in that respect, and discussions like this are tremendously helpful. I am an odd-ball here, though, in that, while I certainly want all options to be open to my boys, I don't view college as the penultimate goal. Again, though, I appreciate these conversations. Thanks for getting the ball rolling!

I'm also an island of sorts as virtually no one I know in "real life" has pursued homeschooling high school. Almost every single one of my friends/acquaintances enrolled their child(ren) in high school, if not middle school, or relies so heavily on outside courses (and I plan to do that to an extent, too) that they really have no experience in homeschooling high school. So of course this board is a huge help in that respect, and discussions like this are tremendously helpful. I am an odd-ball here, though, in that, while I certainly want all options to be open to my boys, I don't view college as the penultimate goal. Again, though, I appreciate these conversations. Thanks for getting the ball rolling!

I understand; that is a hard place to be. I felt that way often for those two years I homeschooled high school. There were just a few scattered homeschoolers in our area who did that, and of course we faced the constant questioning about socialization, how were we going to get our kids into college, etc. It probably made me strive harder than perhaps what was necessary. Still, I'm thankful for the challenge and the efforts made, because my girls have adjusted overall to a regular school environment, and their preparation has helped to diffuse the questions that some have about whether or not homeschooled kids actually can adjust and "compete" (whether it be college or some other path) in the real world.

"We society of sisters" just does not have the same ring. We bevy of buds?

Buds? Isn't it our children who are the buds? The bevy part I like. It has sort of a buzzy sound to it.

Buds as in buddies. A bevy of buddies?? (This includes Plaid Dad!)

Sorority of sisters? Fraternity of frères? A huddle of homeschoolers? A covey of quail? A gaggle of geese? An army of frogs?

:lol::lol::lol:

OK---enough already! You may continue with your most enlightening discussion, ladies!

At the same time, though, I think some people forget that in the long run, a four-year degree is not the be-all, end-all, nor does the name of the school on the degree typically make a great deal of difference.

For you this may be true, Colleen. But your "truth" may not be mine.

In days of yore, some engineers could learn the profession on the job, but that is rare these days. If my son wanted to be an engineer, I would not just look at any old four year school. Not every university has an engineering program or the specific engineering program a student may desire. There is more to attending college than tossing a dart on a dart board.

One of the things that we parent educators do for our high school students is also serve as their counselors. This is a new hat for most of us. We work with our students to help them find the right fit in either post-secondary education or an alternate path. And then we have to help them produce the correct paper trail of test scores and transcripts as required by that institution.

Some of us may take the job seriously, but that does not diminish the fun we have with our kids or the depths of our discussions.

Jane

For you this may be true, Colleen. But your "truth" may not be mine.

Yes, Jane, that's a given. I should have couched my comment with the requisite "in my opinion" and so on and so forth.

Some of us may take the job seriously, but that does not diminish the fun we have with our kids or the depths of our discussions.

I don't assume that those who are more intent upon some aspects of it are not enjoying their children. Likewise, I'm sure you're aware that those of us with a different line of thinking than yours nonetheless take the job seriously. Right?

Perhaps it isn't just "homeschoolers" who are "competing". At our local high school, there is a fast track program which enables high-achieving students to graduate high school with an Associates (2-year) Degree; and they are guaranteed acceptance into any college/university in the state with full scholarships. And there are many more of these students than I would have ever imagined.

How in the world can I compete with *that*? (Me, with my back-woods Georgia education and a very phlegmatic 14yo who, like yours, would much rather spend his school hours where there are 14yo girls than at home???)

Seriously, it's useless for me to try to compete with that or with anyone here. But, I *do* have to be aware of what is "out there" - my ds will in some sense be "competing" against those people sometime in the real world. I try to not to worry; but it does seem as if some kinder, gentler season of homeschooling is over whether I like it or not, and I *do* constantly feel "inferior" in some way.

• 1 year later...

Amen. Amen. and Amen. Thank you all for so freely sharing your wisdom and encouragement. These boards got me through this school year (6th, 7th, and 8th grader:001_huh:) without a doubt. I have put so much of your advice into practice and at the end of the year, I actually like my 8th grader and he understands whats to come.

I'm so much more relaxed about my rising middle schoolers and although high school is daunting, I'm confident we can do it and come out smelling like roses (tee hee, thinking of my mother who used to use that expression all the time).

Many gracious days came from you all and I thank you immensely.

I am remembering earlier days of home schooling when I'd see so-and-so using such-n-such and felt the need to do it too.

Now that we're getting on to high school, I'm just glad to be here where you all can warn me about the temperature of the waters :D

I feel outside pressure of a "competitive" nature b/c my local cc also has the advanced/fast track options for high schoolers and I do consider whether or not college is the right path for each of my dc. I hope to keep every option open to them, college is just one, but admittedly important *to me*. Honestly, dh doesn't care. Competition in this area is brutal.

Having said that, over the past year, as we move toward high school and I can see the big picture, I am less worried about SATs :001_huh: ACTs, :glare: etcs :tongue_smilie:b/c of our course of dual enrollment, and I'm able to focus on where they want to go and how I can help them get there -- thanks to the sound advice here; otherwise, I might still be quaking in my boots reading about all the AP classes, etc....I'd be nuts! Not b/c you all represent yourselves competitively, but b/c I want to offer the best and sometimes my lense is still clouded from my days as a competative AP/Honors student.

It also doesn't help me that all my hs friends with high school graduates are telling me colleges are getting tougher on home schoolers!

I, too, have a middle schooler that I am trying to prepare for high school, so this thread is wonderful.

If you don't mind me asking, for those who have posted about concerns in writing, study skills and reading the great books, what books or methods have you found to be the most effective to accomplish this? Or, what do you wish you would have used?

These seem to be the greatest areas of concern for us, so any help insight would be a great help.

Thanks,

Susan

• 1 year later...