Menu

Having problems with scheduling....

Ladies, how can I make this process easier for me. It comes to the end of the year and we don't finish our textbooks. We need to continue the following year since we fall behind. I do not have a schedule to follow since I would need to do it myself but don't know where to start. Any ideas would be very helpful!

Thank you!

Judy

I just take the number of lessons and add them to completion. What I mean is: if you still have 100 days left, find out how many lessons are remaining in your text and you know how many to do each day. If you have say 105 left, I would either double up or skip some that you don't mind skipping. Most ps never finish books anyway and there is normally a review for the next level if you intend on using the same publisher.

Very few textbooks actually have 180 lessons so you might not be that far off.

Generally, when using a text, I add the total number of lessons, reviews and quizes, and then divide by the number of weeks to determine how many times per week we need to do a lesson. For example, there are 92 lessons+reviews in our Rod & Staff grammar book. We don't do the writing assignments. We school 42 weeks per year. 92/42 = 2.1 lessons per week. We do grammar 3 times per week, anticipating finishing the book prior to the end of the year.

Ds's math curriculum has 120 lessons, including tests, and a cumulative review every 30 lessons. That's 124 total. 124/42 = 3. He does 4 lessons per week, leaving us extra time to review any topics he has difficulty with or moving on to the next level.

HTH, Stacy

I go through the books, decide how many lessons there are in them that I want to complete, divide 180 by that number and that tells me how many lessons per day I need to get done. Of course, you have to keep count and work until you've done 180 days for that to work out, but it's a start, LOL....

If I want to do a subject fewer times than daily, I add up how many times we'll have that "class" during the school year and divide into that number rather than 180.

I add all of the pages in the math or grammar book, plus the pages in the quizzes and tests. Then I divide the total number of pages by the number of days I will be homeschooling. Example: 600 (pages)/160 (days).

A friend of mine recommended subtracting 10-20 days from 180 school days in case one or more of the following falls on a school day:

Dr. appointments

Sick days

Field Trip days

Unexpected interruptions

SAT, ACT, AP exams

I normally divide the pages by 160 days to make sure we finish by the end of our school year.

Also, each child gets a "school schedule sheet". Each page holds a weekly schedule for the subjects they will be studying.

These are made on the computer. Above each column there is a date/day of the week. On the left of each row there is a subject/with the name of the curriculum.

Then with pencil, I fill-in each square with the page number they should be working on for that particular day. This way, they know exactly what they should do.

It takes me between 7-8 hours per month to prepare these, but it's worth the effort. Also, on the sheets included are the page numbers for the SAT/ACT practice books/tests.

I go through the books, decide how many lessons there are in them that I want to complete, divide 180 by that number and that tells me how many lessons per day I need to get done.

*I* would divide the number of lessons by how many days I want to complete it in, giving us plenty of buffer room. For example, if I lived in a state that required 180 days, I would divide by 140 or 150. First, I want to be "done" (with the main curriculum) earlier in the year but mostly, because if we take half-days, field trips, etc, I don't want to have to worry about not completing the curriculum.

Also, I could spread grammar out and only do it 3 days a week but instead I do it 4 or 5 days a week for at least the first part of the year. This gives me wiggle room later on and the kids love it when they get to drop a subject before the year is out.

This is exactly what I do as well. We work harder from August - the middle of December. Then, in January, when I'm getting burned out, I can drop back on the number of times a week we do some of our subjects. I was checking where we were in our texts earlier this week and realized we were at the point where I can go to 2X/week for spelling, 3X/week for math and 2X/week for grammar. Yippee! We were doing all of these subjects 4-5X/week the first half of the year.

Lisa