Menu

Kindergarten History....

Hi, I am looking for a history curriculum to do for my dd's Kindergarten year. I plan to either use SOTW or WP after next year, but would like to find an American History curriculum that will kind of help her understand "What IS history?" for next year....

I was looking at "History for Little Pilgrims" but understand it can be gone through kind of quickly... would it suffice if you added a lot of read-alouds to it? Any other suggestions for what might meet our needs?

THanks!!!

I personally don't like History for Little Pilgrims. It's just not very interesting for a 5yo, and the author picks people to highlight that I wouldn't - and I am a conservative Christian.

My 5yo enjoys Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans. I found it free (public domain) from a link on www.oldfashionededucation.com

Here is the direct link http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/10070

It's just enough for this age imho. We also watch Liberty's Kids every once in a while. I like getting a little intro to some famous Americans before beginning Ancients.

I like doing a Social Studies type unit. You know, we're a family, this is our community, this is our town, this is our state, this is our country. I think I got the idea from A Beka's Soc Studies K book, but it's not the only thing I use. FIAR has been really good for this, as has What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know, by ED Hirsch. That book might give you just enough to go on. It doesn't just tell you what they "need to know," it is a learning text.

HTH!

Dorinda

We did social studies type stuff this year. Jobs people do, holiday celebrations (Thanksgiving we did the Pilgrims and read a lot about their journey to America), important Americans (Martin Luthur King, Jr., George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, etc). This has worked well for us and we will be doing SOTW next year in 1st grade. :)

I read Child's History of the World (Hillyer) to my kindergartners.

It is a light chatty read through the sweep of world history.

I found it a nice intro to SOTW.

Wow! You must have attentive Kindergarteners! My oldest is 9 and going through CHOW right now. It is definitely not something my 5 year old would ever listen to happily. There are a lot of names and places and it goes really fast through things. My 9 year old likes it, but my 5 year old could care less. He plays while we are doing CHOW.

I'm currently doing History for Little Pilgrims with dd. We only do 2 lessons per week (we alternate it with World God Made for science) and we are about half-way through it. I really like that it starts with explaining that history began at Genesis 1:1. It is a good overview of history. The lessons are also short enough for a K'er to not get bored or bogged down. The only problem I have had with it is that it talks about some people being "Christian" when I don't believe that they were fully following the word of God. Of course I am ultra-conservative, so it may not be a problem for you. Overall it is a good into to history. I plan to start SOTW next year and I don't think it will be a problem to transition. Oh, and if your dc likes to color, you can get the color book that goes with it. It has some of the same pics as the textbook.

I have History for Little Pilgrims and I have to keep it from my 3 1/2 yo cuz she loves it so much. I want to use it when we get to LHFHG and I want it to be fresh for her. Sense she loves to be read to I can see this one being a huge hit at 4 or 5 yo.

I have the TM and this is what I find in it:

Extra notes about the history

Scheduling

when to add the coloring pages from the HFLP color book

foot notes with Bible references

There is probably more, but that is with a quick glance. It is a nice addition, especially for the price.

The only problem I have had with it is that it talks about some people being "Christian" when I don't believe that they were fully following the word of God. Of course I am ultra-conservative, so it may not be a problem for you.

I am very conservative too, and would love to hear the problems that you have found for a heads up. If you don't want to post publically, feel free to pm me.

Thanks!