Menu

My high schooler is reluctant to continue with Latin...

We started the Wheelock's Latin last fall after spending a couple of years on the Latin Road to English Grammar which was a bit tedious for us both. We like Wheelock's better but the problem is that we seem to be the only ones in our area that is learning Latin. My church has gone on a missions trip to Mexico last year and will again this summer. His friends are going and they've been taking Spanish at the local university model school. They make it sound like a lot of fun to learn so of course my ds wants to change to Spanish. He's already teaching himself a little with the help of friends. So...is there a compelling reason for him to continue with Latin at his age if he doesn't want to anymore? Will it help him a lot with the other subjects like English or science? He does enjoy the selections for translation in Latin and he knows that the Spanish might not have as good pieces for translating but he doesn't mind that, so he says. I myself want to continue but is it selfish of me to make him continue just because I want to:)

So...is there a compelling reason for him to continue with Latin at his age if he doesn't want to anymore? Will it help him a lot with the other subjects like English or science?

Yes, and yes.:)

But compelling reason is in the eye of the beholder, so . . . ;)

I agree with the poster about doing both. Latin is great. It will help him think logically,build his english vocabulary, and improve SAT scores. But, most teenagers are not going to care about those reasons. I think I would tell him he could do Spanish if he continues his Latin. Tell him his Latin will help in Spanish.

My kids despise Latin. Tough.

They can hate it all they want, but I think eventually they will figure out its worth. My daughter takes French along with it, and she's not falling behind in either one. I'm going to add Spanish for my son in a week or so.

You're right about not many kids learning Latin (not including these boards). A woman I know wanted to start our own chapter of a Latin club whose name I can't remember. We needed five students. But with her 1 and my 2, we only had three (see, I can add!). We have almost 150 kids in our homeschool group and we are apparently the only ones learning Latin.

Your child can do both if he really wants to do it. And if he's been studying Latin for any time at all, he'll see parallels right away.

Good luck.

My dd is taking Latin 1 with Artesian Wells tutorials. They have a forum for their students, and she spends time there discussing Latin (and life) with kids from all over. Having an actual class seems to help, but it isn't cheap.

Yes, Latin via an online class is the only way I can foresee us doing Latin (since I'm a non-Latin mom).

Wheelocks is heavy grammar. Maybe try the direct/reading approach w/ Lingua Latina or something similar. My kids have not complained. Then again, they know it wouldn't get anywhere with me anyway.

I know my kids would not have enjoyed 5 years of the grammar method. Mr. Spotts and the online class is enjoyable for all at this point.

Yes, Latin via an online class is the only way I can foresee us doing Latin (since I'm a non-Latin mom).

Wheelocks is heavy grammar. Maybe try the direct/reading approach w/ Lingua Latina or something similar. My kids have not complained. Then again, they know it wouldn't get anywhere with me anyway.

I know my kids would not have enjoyed 5 years of the grammar method. Mr. Spotts and the online class is enjoyable for all at this point.

Hi Beth,

Could you tell me more about the online Latin class your dc are taking? My ds12 is not enjoying Latin (says he hates it), but I think it's important for him to learn it so I was thinking of enrolling him in an online Latin course, but haven't decided which one. I think it's probably too late to enroll him anywhere now, so I'll probably have to wait until September. Ds has taken Latin up to the middle of LC2 (grade 5), when to school for one year (grade 6), and this year I just started him with Latin Prep 1(end of ch.2), but he's not enjoying it.

Thanks.

Edited by ballzy

Hi Beth,

Could you tell me more about the online Latin class your dc are taking? My ds12 is not enjoying Latin (says he hates it), but I think it's important for him to learn it so I was thinking of enrolling him in an online Latin course, but haven't decided which one. I think it's probably too late to enroll him anywhere now, so I'll probably have to wait until September. Ds has taken Latin up to the middle of LC2 (grade 5), when to school for one year (grade 6), and this year I just started him with Latin Prep 1(end of ch.2), but he's not enjoying it.

Thanks.

Colleen,

Mr. Spotts teaches the Latin classes at The Potters School. He is great and my kids are enjoying Latin with him. They have a 1.5 hour class weekly w/ about 12 other kids in the forum. They take turns answering questions/translating on the microphone. They do homework/study/reading daily w/ their books as well as doing on-line excercies which Mr. Spotts grades. He is a tough grader and expects class participation.

I think I paid $400/student this year. Expensive, but not compared to what I payed a private tutor last year.

We couldn't be happier.

Drew & LatinTeach/Sharon can best describe the direct method. All I know is that it works. :)

Email Mr. Spotts and he will get back to you also.

MrSpotts@pottersschool.org

My boys finished Latina Christian I and 1/2 Latina Christiana II using the DVDs. This gave us a great introduction into Latin and got me over the "fear" as I didn't know Latin at all! Now we've moved onto Cambridge Latin and my boys love it! THe stories are geared for kids and the grammar is easily understood.

Myra

hard when my previously complaint and eager son started to change and complain about learning Latin. I just found out that there are a couple of families in the local homeschool group taking it but I've never met them. I'll try and see if we can meet. It would be hard for my ds to take both languages as his days are packed as is but maybe he can just practice it informally with his friends and if he's still interested next fall, he can take a formal class in it along with the Latin. And I realize now that I need to be more positive and involved. About the advantages of learning Latin, well, my ds doesn't really care about that, oh well.

Colleen,

Mr. Spotts teaches the Latin classes at The Potters School. He is great and my kids are enjoying Latin with him. They have a 1.5 hour class weekly w/ about 12 other kids in the forum. They take turns answering questions/translating on the microphone. They do homework/study/reading daily w/ their books as well as doing on-line excercies which Mr. Spotts grades. He is a tough grader and expects class participation.

I think I paid $400/student this year. Expensive, but not compared to what I payed a private tutor last year.

We couldn't be happier.

Drew & LatinTeach/Sharon can best describe the direct method. All I know is that it works. :)

Email Mr. Spotts and he will get back to you also.

MrSpotts@pottersschool.org

Beth, does Lingua Latina start at the beginning or does it assume that the student already knows some Latin? How difficult is the course? I will also email Mr. Spotts later on.

Thanks.

online with Regina Coeli. We were just about at wit's end trying to do Henle on our own. I just wasn't proficient enough to keep the pace that dd needed.

Now she loves Latin, even though it's a very tough class. They use Wheelocks. Lots of vocab. Lots of grammar. If dd wasn't taking this course, I would have to throw in extra grammar, but I feel we're killing 2 birds with the current course.

Gotta run, jackie

Since everyone has agreed to keep the Latin, and even though my dd wants to continue with it in high school (at this point), I thought I'd chime in with some other thoughts.

While it's true that dc have to learn to take courses they hate (literature is one for my dd, along with the fact that she doesn't like history and dreads the thought of US Gov't, but they are required here), it's not always true that all dc have to take Latin through high school even if your ideal goal is a classical education. Sooner or later choices have to be made because there is only so much time, so much interest, battles have to be chosen, and future majors considered.

If you have an aspiring scientist who is busy taking oodles of science and math courses, has time consuming extracurricular passions and/or activities (that contribute directly to their career goals or to being rounded enough for university acceptance) time for Latin and Spanish both could be severely limited. Yes, Latin is the root of Spanish and helps you learn all he Romance languages as well as have a deeper understanding of grammar and a stronger vocabulary, but perhaps your child isn't going to read the Roman writers in Latin. Ever. This doesn't mean that they haven't had a stellar education, but that the stellar education best tailored for them doesn't include that. Or there may be a dc who would prefer to learn ancient Greek and read the Greek philosophers in their original languages instead. Or Russian--my grandmother insisted that they just aren't the same once their translated, and would only read Russian novels in Russian (and I'm not even of Russian descent.)

And there's no reason why studying Latin cannot be resumed as an adult if your dc change their minds later.

Edited by Karin

Beth, does Lingua Latina start at the beginning or does it assume that the student already knows some Latin? How difficult is the course? I will also email Mr. Spotts later on.

Thanks.

No,

He assumes no Latin experience. He would rather have students start fresh -- having not used the grammar method. My kids had a year of LC 1 & 2 but had no problem transitioning to the direct method.

I wish you could somehow hear a recording of a class. Mr. Spotts keeps the kids on their toes, asks a lot of questions and gives excellent instruction.

Registration probably starts in the next couple months -- for next year.

We are finishing up Henle I, unit 7, and plan on taking the NLE in March. That will end my oldest's Latin training. She really wants to study French, and there just aren't enough hours in the day for her to do both. Yes, I feel a bit guilty not continuing after having invested the time and energy in learning so much Latin grammar and being close to getting to the fun readings. But like you wrote, if she wants she can always take it back up as an adult. For what it's worth, what she has learned has helped her grammar dramatically.

I do hope to have her read 20 minutes of Lingua Latina every day next year just to keep the Latin rattling around in her mind. Truthfully, though, I see this falling off the schedule rather quickly. I think I'm planning it more to ease my misgivings on giving up Latin than anything else.

Cathy