Menu

From LOF to what until Pre-Algebra

I've read all the threads for a few months, and I'm still trying to decide what to do between now (when she's almost done with the Decimals and Percentages) and when we do Pre Algebra.

One of my questions is: What are the requirements for being able to start Pre-Algebra? (Wouldn't mind having some games to play to help....) Is there a scope-and-sequence that I should have for what you need to be able to do?? I mean, if you pass the LOF Decimals/Percentages test, then you go on??

I've been looking for a math program that we can either do together, or one that she can read and do by herself. (I don't want TT) I want a math that will teach/ explain the theory of math as she's doing it.

I really would prefer something that's not a DVD, but wouldn't hold that against a program, if it's the best.

She's only 10, so I'm fine with doing something from now - September that is "just getting ready" for Pre-Algebra. (Hoping for Pre-Algebra for 6th, Algebra for 7th, Algebra for 8th, Geometry for 9th, Pre-Calculus for 10th, and then??? after that for the last two years. Will depend on her desires and how she sticks to my time table.)

Thanks!

Carrie:-)

When my daughter finished Lof Fred Decimals, she's also 10. She will be doing Dolciani pre-algebra for grades 6 and 7. We will be using the Structure and Use books from 60's. I purchased them used from alibris. I even found the teacher's edition for the grade 6 book.

After the pre-algebra we'll be doing Dolciani Algebra from the 60's. I'm following this path because it teaches math via proofs. I've learned about these options from hanging out on the high school board. A few of the math and college teachers use the 60's Dolciani algebra books for their children. So for more options, you might check the high school board. They have more hind sight experience that I'm sure they'll be happy to share. That board is amazing.

I'm not sure what we'll do for Geometry, we may go back to Fred for Geometry.

The 60'd Dolciani pre-algebra books are:

Modern School Mathematics Structure and Method Course 1

by Dolciani Wooton Beckenbach and Chinn copyright 67

Modern School Mathematics Structure and Method Course 2

by Dolciani Wooton Beckenbach and Market copyright 67

Hth and good luck!

Kimberly

When my daughter finished Lof Fred Decimals, she's also 10. She will be doing Dolciani pre-algebra for grades 6 and 7. We will be using the Structure and Use books from 60's. I purchased them used from alibris. I even found the teacher's edition for the grade 6 book.

After the pre-algebra we'll be doing Dolciani Algebra from the 60's. I'm following this path because it teaches math via proofs. I've learned about these options from hanging out on the high school board. A few of the math and college teachers use the 60's Dolciani algebra books for their children. So for more options, you might check the high school board. They have more hind sight experience that I'm sure they'll be happy to share. That board is amazing.

I'm not sure what we'll do for Geometry, we may go back to Fred for Geometry.

The 60'd Dolciani pre-algebra books are:

Modern School Mathematics Structure and Method Course 1

by Dolciani Wooton Beckenbach and Chinn copyright 67

Modern School Mathematics Structure and Method Course 2

by Dolciani Wooton Beckenbach and Market copyright 67

Hth and good luck!

Kimberly

We are going to be doing a course similar to this. I only have the Course 2 Dolciani book (thanks to Kimber for helping me figure out the book :D).

However I plan on mixing LOF beginning algebra with the Dolciani book, we may take two years to finish both. My ds does not want to give up LOF.

We're starting these books as well. We're going to be doing Course 1 (grade 7) concurrently with Singapore 5B, 6A, and 6B, then Course 2 (grade 8).

My observations so far is the the language and vocabulary are rather rich for my just-turned-eleven year old. So we will be doing part of the problems together on the white board.