Menu

So what do you do for pink eye?

Go to the doctor. I have never found over-the-counter stuff very effective.

FWIW my doctor will prescribe over the phone for pinkeye without the bother of a visit. I don't know if it's because he knows me and trusts me or if it's a blanket policy. Either way it's worth calling your dr and asking.

And I would say...no...about the baby shampoo...but yes to either goat's milk fresh squeezed...or breast milk squirted right in the eye...or in a container and then dropped in the eye.

We had a whole discussion online on another online about the alternatives...and....well..some feel comfortable with the ingredients of the baby shampoo (like Johnson's) but I wouldn't.

Carrie:-0

And I would say...no...about the baby shampoo...but yes to either goat's milk fresh squeezed...or breast milk squirted right in the eye...or in a container and then dropped in the eye.

We had a whole discussion online on another online about the alternatives...and....well..some feel comfortable with the ingredients of the baby shampoo (like Johnson's) but I wouldn't.

Carrie:-0

Unfortunately, no lactating humans or goats around. Or baby shampoo, for that matter. I'm kind of glad I can't try these...actually...:D

My SIL is an optometrist. When ds had pink eye she told me that there are two kinds of pink eye: bacterial and viral (or allergic). If your child has a cold or has had allergic reaction to pollen etc. then they don't necessarily need to go to the Dr. for antibiotics. They can use OTC stuff - there are eye drops like Visine. The pharmacist at the drug store showed me a number of kinds. She told me to come in if it got worse.

We just use warm rags to help with pain and discomfort for viral eye issues (my youngest has alot of these) associated with colds, allergies, that sort of thing. We have done drops for those that got worse after day one, most likely bacterial. I don't know if it can cause vision problems, but I was afraid to let it wait longer than a day to feel better KWIM.

In the mean time, wash the eye with baby shampoo.

I can't remember the science behind the shampoo. Not a cure, but perhaps somewhat of a comfort until the real drugs get there. Dh is asleep or I would ask him.

Baby shampoo has a numbing agents in it to prevent irritation if it gets in a child's eye so that agent might give some relief to itchy, irritated eyes.

Baby shampoo has a numbing agents in it to prevent irritation if it gets in a child's eye so that agent might give some relief to itchy, irritated eyes.

Also it's a good way to sanitize the area without your child's eyes stinging. My dr recommends this, and I have always done it with good effect with my children. I find it eases the itchy and crusty symptoms dramatically while the antibiotic kills the bacteria.