Menu

What to do about AM Gov...

I purchased ABeka Am Gov at a used Curriculum fair last year, and we began studying it in October/November. It has been dreadful, but my son is over half finished and isn't interested in changing; in fact, he can't see the point of Am Gov because he feels we have covered a lot in history (and we have).

This is probably the worst high school course I have encountered. Do we just 'get it finished' and 'check it off' our to-do list, or should I add something to it?

I feel badly making ds change this far into it, but I feel that it is inadequate for a half credit course.

Susan

I know that some folks here have used this:

http://www.greatsource.com/store/ProductCatalogController?cmd=Browse&subcmd=LoadDetail&ID=1003600000006199&division=G01&frontOrBack=F&sortEntriesBy=SEQ_NAME&sortProductsBy=SEQ_TITLE

I bookmarked it a while back because it was recommended. It's one semester -- maybe you could pick that up to finish off the year? If it's truly dreadful, I'd drop it.

I purchased ABeka Am Gov at a used Curriculum fair last year, and we began studying it in October/November. It has been dreadful, but my son is over half finished and isn't interested in changing; in fact, he can't see the point of Am Gov because he feels we have covered a lot in history (and we have).

This is probably the worst high school course I have encountered. Do we just 'get it finished' and 'check it off' our to-do list, or should I add something to it?

I feel badly making ds change this far into it, but I feel that it is inadequate for a half credit course.

Susan

My oldest son used the A Beka World History high school text and I agree. Dreadful. After that horrid experience I could not fathom using their government so we went with SL's Core 400. (Also dreadful! :w00t:) We did liven it up a bit by adding in some Uncle Eric books though. Two that he very much enjoyed were Are you Liberal? Conservative? or Confused? and Whatever Happened to Justice? These might be something you can add to, or use instead of, the A Beka book to finish off your year. Bluestocking Press even makes Study Guides for the Uncle Eric books, but we did not use them so I cannot give you any detail in that respect. My son, instead, read the books and journaled his thoughts.

We used Great Source at home. In fact, it was so good that my dd used it to help her through her CC Gov't course, where they used an awful text.