Menu

A latin question: Lively Latin 2 or Lain Prep? Which way to go??

Ds (10) is almost through w/ LL1. He's done very well with it and we've enjoyed the program. All along, I assumed we'd just progress onto LL2 and then on to Henle. (As a note, we don't really do the history portions of Lively, just the language study, so losing that aspect of the program if we switched gears wouldn't be a problem for me). I've heard so many wonderful comments re: Latin Prep, though, I'm wondering if I should give that a shot. My end goal is not for my kids to be reading texts in the original language, but I do wish for them a very thorough, extensive latin foundation for all the other wonderful reasons.

Have any of you dealt w/ a similar decision, or do any of you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks!

Sounds insane to me, lol. You have something that is working, so don't violate the cardinal rule and change it!! :)

BTW, I don't if you remember our conversations about history, but I'm jumping ship to WP AC1. My brain is gone post-partum and I need something much, much simpler to implement, with no planning, no nothing, just open and be fun. (or at least look like it, lol) I read somewhere you jumped to TT. I have them and they make me hyperventilate (too many links, how to use and schedule). The WP AC schedule makes sense to me when I look at it, so that's the way I'm going.

No, history just isn't happening here, lol. My homemade plans just fell by the wayside. And now I'm stuck-- there are only so many hours in the day, and unfortunately i've not mastered the art of schooling more than one w/ a baby and energetic 4 yo in tow beyond the basics. SO the boys read a lot of history on their own... but us together-- not happening right now.

As for the latin, you make a good point-- thanks for pointing that out!

I hope all is well on your end... I hear you about sweet & simple and all laid out!

Well then I don't feel so bad about my purchase! I went back and forth over whether I could do it on my own, whether the schedule was unnecessary. It's just that every time I look at TT, I get overwhelmed by all the pages and options. With WP AC, it's all scheduled out and makes sense to me, something I can wrap my brain around. The threads I'm seeing say that it's taking them about 45 min a day to do the basics of WP AC, so that's not bad. And I wanted it all chunked up like that. I just don't have it to give to look at 4 activities in a lesson of TT and figure out how much to do that day, kwim? I need a start and a finish, an amount to do and be DONE. And I don't have any wigglies driving me crazy! Dd is a big help with the baby and adores playing with him. She's doing that right now as a matter of fact. :)

There are two TT's: Time Travelers (history) and Teaching Textbooks (math). Sorry. WP AC=Winter Promise American Crossing. It uses TT as a spine, so in context you'd know what the TT is. TT CL would be Colonial Life, and there are other cds that will have acronyms as well. :)

Thanks. I knew the wp one you were talking about and that is why I knew that TT must have been something else other than Teaching Textbooks, but I could figure out what that was. Being the curriculum junkie that I am, I couldn't stand the thought of an abbreviation that I didn't know LOL.

I just wanted to let you know that I was in exactly your position and decided to go with LL2, and I'm glad I did. I did LL1 with 10yo and LP with 12yo. When 10yo finished LL I asked if he wanted to stay with the program or switch to what his brother was using. I was kind of hoping he would say that he wanted to use LP because I wouldn't have to buy a new program, but he wanted to stick with LL. I knew that was probably best anyway. I think LP is a wonderful program and I know that some use it with younger students, but it is very challenging, and in my opinion better suited to 11 or 12yo and up. We've just begun using LL 2 and I think it was the right choice.