Menu

Speaking of losing weight and the worst (fill-in the-blank) in the US...

I saw that! I think the fact that they serve portions that at home I would serve a whole family of 4 has something to do with it!

I know, but some of those appetizers! Take for example that onion blossom from Chili's featured on Men's Health. We sometimes split one of those 5 ways and it's still 542 calories before you even eat dinner. No more.

I am not surprised...we actually have that book "Eat this, not that" from the Men's magazine. It was SHOCKING. I was really amazed at the nutritional info. Also, I am disappointed in restaurants that do not provide the nutritional info for their food. That just makes me think they are hiding something.

I am not surprised...we actually have that book "Eat this, not that" from the Men's magazine. It was SHOCKING. I was really amazed at the nutritional info. Also, I am disappointed in restaurants that do not provide the nutritional info for their food. That just makes me think they are hiding something.

Oh I know. Applebee's official answer as to why they don't provide nutritional info is, "We provide nutritional information on all of our Weight Watchers® items, including fat, fiber, calories, and Weight Watchers Points® values. We do not provide nutritional information on other Applebee's® items. With approximately 1,900 locations in the U.S. alone, we use a huge selection of different food vendors to source our food, making it extremely difficult to obtain nutritional information for our items." What a bunch of hooey.

My favorite, Santa Fe Chicken salad, I get with all the wet stuff on the side and barely use any, is 672 calories according to this web site.

"We provide nutritional information on all of our Weight Watchers® items, including fat, fiber, calories, and Weight Watchers Points® values. We do not provide nutritional information on other Applebee's® items. With approximately 1,900 locations in the U.S. alone, we use a huge selection of different food vendors to source our food, making it extremely difficult to obtain nutritional information for our items." What a bunch of hooey.

I work helping to manage a restaurant (though not a chain). From working daily to keep up with changing ingredients, varying portion sizes according to who's cooking, and rapidly changing menu selections, I feel a bit of sympathy for the restaurants. It really is close to impossible to provide the information and be accurate about it, which is why many restaurants don't even try. As for the calories & fat in restaurant food, unless you're going to a restaurant that specifically makes a point of healthy selections, you can assume they're going for taste and perceived value rather than good health. The fact that restaurant food *tastes* different than what most people eat at home is the draw, after all.

With that said, the calorie & fat contents are truly astonishing, so I'm glad I don't eat out very often!