Menu

Are the HWT wood pieces and mat worth the $?

Quiver0f10

All my kids love these pieces but in all honesty I cannot see spending the money I bought them plus the mat for 15 ppd so in that case it was great!! My two youngers have gotten alot out of them. Have you tried ebay?

Thanks. I really haven't looked and had never considered them, but I got a catalog from HWT today and they look cute. Just not sure if we would really use them, kwim?

I did not need or use them with my first or third sons but for my 2nd son they were invaluable. He was late to learn his letters (later than my other two anyway) and those wooden letters were a huge favorite of his. I do remember they were awfully expensive though!

I did not need or use them with my first or third sons but for my 2nd son they were invaluable.

:iagree:

For some children, you probably don't need them. But for my DS who has fine motor delays, we were able to start forming letters with the pieces well before he was able to make a letter with his finger (even in shaving cream or rice). For my DD who has great handwriting, the wood pieces helped to cement the lingo (big line, little curve, etc) and I think helped to prevent reversals, too. And we liked mat man, too. :)

We liked them - it was a great introduction to letter formation and my kids had fun "making" letters with them. We would follow the wood piece/card activity with the magnet board (and HWT magnet letter pieces) and then form the letters in shaving cream, oatmeal, rice, etc :) They still talk about it but they really enjoy tactile stuff (especially DS)

Although in hindsight I wish I had just taught lowercase first.

I may be interested in selling mine if you decide you want to get a set (hadn't really thought of selling them until now, but we aren't really using them anymore) Just let me know...

My 3-1/2-year-old LOVES using the pieces to make letters. He's learning to form all of his letters this way and we're not emphasizing the actual writing so much. It works great for him. My 5-1/2-year-old finished the K book, and used the pieces and liked them but I wouldn't say they were fundamental to her learning at all. Just fun to do. She likes to use them now still to make words. Or pictures. :)

Thanks everyone! I think we are going to skip these. I have a feeling they would only turn into swords here as someone else posted :)

That is what happened here. Now I have no idea exactly where they are, scattered throughout the house....

Heather